eSIMs for Cozumel- recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saboteur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Heading to Cozumel later this month. I have no experience with eSIM providers, Mexico telcoms or Mexico for that matter. Any recommendations? Thx.

Heading to Cozumel later this month. I have no experience with eSIM providers, Mexico telcoms or Mexico for that matter. Any recommendations? Thx.

What's your current cell service provider?
Many US cell phone carriers offer service in MX at no/little extra cost.

How long will you be in CZM?

See above -- if you're there for less than a month, doing typical dive/tourist things, then it may not be worth the effort.

What do you think you need a local phone number for?

If all you're doing is contacting dive shops, being able to be reached in case the port is closed, maybe making some dinner reservations, I'd say that you don't really need a local MX phone number. Almost every business that deals with a lot of tourists can be reached via a US number, social media, or a service like Skype or WhatsApp.

Airalo has been stable for me in Mexico (amongst a list of other places). Their documentation is good, but if you ever attempt to “start” the plan and find it not collecting, restart your device and it will likely fix it.

My Tmobile works great. I get 5GB high speed data a month than unlimited 3g speed, unlimited text. Calls are $0.25 a min if ypu don't use whatsapp for calls and is included in most if not all plans. Same number.

My Tmobile works great. I get 5GB high speed data a month than unlimited 3g speed, unlimited text. Calls are $0.25 a min if ypu don't use whatsapp for calls and is included in most if not all plans. Same number.
THIS
I've used t-mobile globally, and WhatsApp as much as possible.

Thanks for suggestions. I’m not on Tmobile. Going to try Airalo. Seems to be reasonable cost and lots of good plans globally.

THIS
I've used t-mobile globally, and WhatsApp as much as possible.
I know someone who went to Coz and refused to download WhatsApp because it’s owned by Meta. He made things much more difficult for himself. He learned his lesson.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom