equipment questions/newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njdrumrun

New
Reaction score
hey guys,

i have just started looking fins, masks and snorkles. i know NOTHING!!! i have always rented equipment.

i am looking for decent quality stuff at reasonable prices. shorter fins that pack well.

any websites, brands, suggestions that anyone has would be appreciated!

thanks

nj

A friend of mine has these for sale here on the board. end-season-clearance

They are very nice sets, especially for the money. He stocks them as a convenience to his students and is just clearing them out for the year.

I'd recommend popping in to a local dive shop (LDS) and talking to them about what kind of diving you do, what kind you want to do, and then trying on gear that meets your needs.

This is really the best/only way to make sure you get the right gear and the right fit.

Where in NJ are you? I can recommend several shops depending on where you're at.

hey guys,

i have just started looking fins, masks and snorkles. i know NOTHING!!! i have always rented equipment.

i am looking for decent quality stuff at reasonable prices. shorter fins that pack well.

any websites, brands, suggestions that anyone has would be appreciated!

thanks

nj
are you looking for diving gear or snorkel gear?
I would stay away from buying gear at K-mart or Target. That gear is good from kids playing in a pool only.
Most important piece of gear - a good mask! :D For a good mask I would go to a dive shop and have someone help you understand how to fit your face and what features each type of mask has to offer. You can get a really nice mask there for anywhere from $35-100. Buy the mask that fits you best and use it. If you really like it, and it fits well and does not leak alot, then you did good and you might be able to buy one online once you know what you have learned.
Fins, depends on snorkeling or diving, and prices can go from $20 for snorkeling fins up to $300+ for top of the line dive fins.
Snorkels, that completely a personal thing as to what features you want and how comfortable you are free-diving.

I hope this helps!

robint

Masks - Fit is more important than anything else. A $100 mask can easily be worse than a $30 mask if it does not fit right. Try to find a shop where you can try on a wide variety of brands and models. Any salesman who tries to emphasize any feature over fit is not doing you a favor.

Snorkel - Get a cheap one. Seriously. Most snorkels just ride around in gear bags and never see the water once you start diving regularly.

Fins - Again, fit is important and they work in conjunction with your booties (if you decide to use them). I would opt for a nice mid-range pair of paddle fins for your first set. scubadiving.com and the ScubaDiving magazine publish fin reviews each year that should get you headed in the right direction.

The key point is not to spend too much on this stuff unless you just want to spend money. A mask that fits right is worth it's weight in gold. The snorkel probably won't get much use once your classes are over, and after a few dive trips you'll have a better idea about the fins you want and will probably end up buying another pair anyway.

Hope that helps-

Rich

good points, rich.

also, remember to try the fit of the mask with your mouth open. that's the position it'll be in on the regulator, and many people have lines around their mouth that are very different open or closed & will make the mask fit poorly if you didn't take that into consideration.

personal opinion - my large jetfins pack well size-wise, but are kinda heavy. take size *and* weight into consideration if you're thinking of traveling.

also, remember to try the fit of the mask with your mouth open. that's the position it'll be in on the regulator, and many people have lines around their mouth that are very different open or closed & will make the mask fit poorly if you didn't take that into consideration.

This can't be emphasized enough. I know a number of people who bought masks only to find out that they leak when on scuba. Just yesterday I was out with a buddy of mine, same thing. He has a mask that fits great "on land" but leaks excessively on dives. Result: When he has a reg in his mouth it leaks, without one it "suctions" to his face like you wouldn't believe :)

I'd also buy the absolute cheapest snorkel you can find. It's really just a tube after all. Which most divers don't use all that often :)

I'd also buy the absolute cheapest snorkel you can find. It's really just a tube after all. Which most divers don't use all that often :)

The Op went on to initiate a subsequent thread in the skin-diving forum. They are vacation snorkelers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom