Equipment Questions from New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some off topic and/or disrespectful stuff has been removed, we now return you to your regularly scheduled equipment questions.

Please feel free to take the debate to PM's if you really feel the need, if the nonsense starts up in here again thread bans will be awarded to the culprits.

Just to remind everyone the first line of the Terms of Service reads-

This is a friendly forum based on mutual respect.

It's fine to recommend gear you like- but don't attack others for expressing their opinion and recommending gear they like.

The gorilla has spoken!

Back on topic, I too have hung up my beloved knighthawk for a BP/W system. For the same reasons others have posted. Also moved weight from integrated pockets to a belt to lighten the total weight of the scuba unit.
Don't get me wrong the knighthawk still makes appearances in the pool or tropical vacations. But for local conditions a standard integrated bcd system falls short.

There must be something to this BP/W thing that everyone seems to be switching too. :wink:

I haven't tried it yet, but it just looks more comfortable for a girl with big boobs, and more stable. When all the air is out of my bcd, I can tilt side to side and feel the weight shifting from left to right around my mid-section as my bcd pockets are the heaviest part of my rig. And really, you may not understand how the pockets of the Mares can fall out, but I consider myself a cautious diver, I check everything before I put on my bcd, and they've still slipped out. Not sure if I hit the release accidentally or what, but I do know that once those releases get sand in them they get harder and harder to clip in. Not a problem if you do all your diving off a boat, but if you're shore diving regularly, there will be a time or two where you get sand in your gear.

It's not always the pockets falling out that is the problem. I've seen integrated weight pockets packed so full of weight needed to sink a 7mm wetsuit, that the person was unable to remove them in an emergency.

That's true too, Saturday I thought I was going to have to pry them out of my BCD to be able to put it away, but that was due to the sand.

I use a stainless steel backplate with a wing because it is very stable and low profile. Mine has a crotch strap and STA. It is good for hiking our coastal cliff trails since the tank is locked in place and the unit does not sway. The Rig does not constrict the chest region when inflated since the wing is in back. I have customized it with clips, pockets, D-rings, etc. to fit my needs. I am just a recreational shore diver that is interested in comfort. I mainly freedive the last few years, so all my weight is on me not my Rig. The SS BP, STA, and steel tank weigh enough. I do not want to add any additional weight to the Rig.

SCUBAToys has a deal on BP/Wing. It can be upgraded to SS BP and select 30/40lb wing. BackPlate and Wing Package reviews and discounts, Dive Rite

It looks like the Mares Dragon BC may be on closeout so it is half the price of the BP/Wing.

I too have seen BC integrated weight pockets so stuffed with weights in cold water that they are very hard to ditch. And once out they are very hard to get back in, very often requiring help.

For people who prefer using a traditional BC one way to ease this problem is by distributing lead roughly evenly between integrated weights and a weight belt, and by using soft weights in the ditchable pouches; hard lead tends to catch on things while bags of soft lead become more streamlined. You can also put some non-ditchable weight in the trim pockets which further reduces the amount you need in the integrated pockets.

I too have seen BC integrated weight pockets so stuffed with weights in cold water that they are very hard to ditch. And once out they are very hard to get back in, very often requiring help.

For people who prefer using a traditional BC one way to ease this problem is by distributing lead roughly evenly between integrated weights and a weight belt, and by using soft weights in the ditchable pouches; hard lead tends to catch on things while bags of soft lead become more streamlined. You can also put some non-ditchable weight in the trim pockets which further reduces the amount you need in the integrated pockets.

That's what I did; most of the back-inflate BCDs I've seen (and all the ones I've used) and a fair number of jacket style now have trim pouches, so it's no big deal to split your weight 50/50, 60/40 or what have you. Although the BCD will generally have more inherent buoyancy than a BP/Wing, forcing you to use ~ 1-4 lb. more weight, the fact that you can remove some of that weight before climbing back aboard a boat may well make your re-entry easier. In my dry suit I don't use ditchable weight, so it's all on me climbing back into a boat.

Even if you clip your BP/BCD off before getting aboard, being able to remove the ditchable weight pockets easily still decreases the amount you have to dead lift. That and the poor backpacking comfort are about the only negatives I can find with my BP/wing, and I could probably use a weight belt if I wanted ditchable weight (although my trim's perfect now with just the S/S BP and weight in the trim pockets, so I'd prefer not to).

Guy

Last edited:
I haven't tried it yet, but it just looks more comfortable for a girl with big boobs, and more stable. When all the air is out of my bcd, I can tilt side to side and feel the weight shifting from left to right around my mid-section as my bcd pockets are the heaviest part of my rig. And really, you may not understand how the pockets of the Mares can fall out, but I consider myself a cautious diver, I check everything before I put on my bcd, and they've still slipped out. Not sure if I hit the release accidentally or what, but I do know that once those releases get sand in them they get harder and harder to clip in. Not a problem if you do all your diving off a boat, but if you're shore diving regularly, there will be a time or two where you get sand in your gear.

Sand in your gear? say it aint so! :D

Back
Top Bottom