Equipment Questions from New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At this point though, my go-to recommendation for someone serious about getting into local diving is a Halcyon Infinity system....Most importantly, you're getting a system with a lot more growth potential that can expand/change with you throughout your diving career.

What distinguishes someone as being a "serious" diver?

I haven't researched this type of BC. Could you elaborate on how it allows "more growth potential?"

I haven't researched this type of BC. Could you elaborate on how it allows "more growth potential?"

This is meant for the bp/wing combination, not just the Halcyon system.

If/when you start doing tech dives, the bp/w that we speak of is mandatory for many (if not all) of the tech classes that you'll take. Might as well make the leap now.

Also, you can keep the same backplate and webbing, then swap out wings for greater/less buoyancy, depending on the diving you plan to do. 30 lbs of lift is about right for cold water diving, but likely too big for tropical water diving. A smaller wing can be swapped on in less than a minute if needed.

The drawback is that if you're used to integrated weights, you'll need to put the weight somewhere else with the bp/w setup. Likely on a belt, a v-weight, or weight plates attached to the backplate itself. Or a combination of those I mentioned.

Or glue pockets to the wetsuit thighs. I have em on all 3 of mine as well as on the drysuit.
I've seen that done, it's not going to be worth it for me, I'm almost out of this wetsuit, staying in it till I can save the money for a drysuit, with pockets.

rdjiv:

Here's the definition I was using when I said that - A diver who's interested in doing a lot of local (MoCal/NorCal) diving and who thinks they may be interested in pursuing progressively more advanced diving in the future (and wants gear that will grow with them).

I want to make it clear that I'm in no way saying that all diving has to be "serious", or alternatively that you can't be a "serious" diver in a traditional BC - neither of those statements are true.

This is meant for the bp/wing combination, not just the Halcyon system.

If/when you start doing tech dives, the bp/w that we speak of is mandatory for many (if not all) of the tech classes that you'll take. Might as well make the leap now.

Exactly. I'm a recent convert to this style of gear. Even if you choose not to pursue technical training, I've found this style of gear (the BP/Wing) to be a much cleaner/less-cluttered setup, as well as a significantly more stable platform for my tank (which helps in a lot of little ways). I recommend the Halycon Infinity primarily because I use it and I know what I'm recommending, but also because the adjustability and padding can provide a slightly smoother transition path for somebody who's used to traditional BCs. Somebody who has been using a nice rear-inflation BC like the Knighthawk will find the transition very easy.

Short answer: I don't know anything about the specific BC you mention.

My experience with my own weight integrated BCs is that weight pocket problems can be avoided through diligent monitoring of your gear before every dive. If you make sure, prior to the dive, that everything is correctly positioned/attached/hooked, then it will usually stay in place. It's the changes in between the dives that displace it that can lead to equipment failure. Not a guarantee but likely. Always, ALWAYS manage your own gear whether assembling yourself, or check it after the nice liveaboard people change your tank. Mutliple times I found air off, tank strap not tight, integrated wieght pockets incorrectly inserted. Perform all the usual checks everytime without exception.

Next consideration for you is whether you will actually be diving that much locally. That will determine how cold water dedicated a setup you need, and is worth the investment. My certification instructor immediately hooked me into the local shop and the cold water Zeagle Ranger, but I ended up doing more warm water trips. So I used it on both. Definite overkill but it worked fine in both locations. I now bought more of a travel BC, but it's midrange and could do some cold water diving while still being much lighter. I don't want to carry a backplate when traveling because of flight weight restrictions.

I am most likely going to give mine up for a BP/W, though the first issue I see with going the BP/W direction is that I'll have no pockets (I dive wet).

You would like BP/w. I see you are very comfortable in the water and great buddy!

As far as pockets are concerned. There are thigh pockets you can get for around $30 that hang off your BP/w belt and strap on your thighs.

You can get BP/w (Hog wing) for around $270 (new) from DS website if you are interested I can send you info.

I don't want to carry a backplate when traveling because of flight weight restrictions.

I travel with BP/w gear. (SS BP)

Everything except regulators, computers, can light, and camera (that were carry-on) was packed in my dive suitcase.

SS BP with harness
32lb singles wing
F1 fins
knife
hood
gloves
backup light
drysuit
weightbelt
compass
slate

(probably something else I forgot to list)

All of this I was able to check-in within my airline allowance weight.

Also, don't be too hung up on fully integrated weight for local diving.

Full integration leads to VERY heavy and hard to don scuba units. Also, it means that when/if you have to doff and don underwater (say to disentangle kelp), your rig will want to sink and you'll want to float up. That's suboptimal for anyone who wishes to stay close to their gas supply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom