Equipment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not own either of these brands personally but I am an authorized tech for both brands... There is nothing wrong with either of these two brands, I do feel that the Oceanic is a bit more "budget minded" than the Atomics. I took the Oceanic class first, rebuilt all of their regs and found them to be just about the same as other brands. When I took the Atomics class I was actually impressed by their regs! The attention to detail was great, the designs were well thought out and very simple. It didn't strike me as how many parts they could cram into a package it was more like how can we make this a high quality unit with less parts... The latest balanced piston oceanic still looks like some of the older scubapro regs, nothing bad, but nothing super either, a solid built reliable reg. Looking at the atomics, they have been in business ~11 years, they have basically two 1st stages, old piston style and new piston style. Other than a drop in part the rest of the reg is the same. There are a few options though: Swivel/non swivel, titanium/monel/stainless. Acording to the mags their T2 reg beats out all other regs...wow the same reg they've been making for 11 years with basically only 1 change in design still is #1. There are 2 things about Atomics that I'm not wild over...1) is to make it environmentally sealed you fill it up with some expensive goop (Im not sure what other shops charge but I'd guess about $30 in goop plus a special rubberband) not that there is anything wrong with this but thats an extra fee every other year and more work for the tech cleaning it 2)their "Automatic Flow Control (AFC)" on all other regs with a "manual" flow control device you switch it to dive and jump in the water. This one slowly turns the knob (there is actually no knob but pretend there is) for you as you descend past ~50 feet. This seems like a weak spot in the design to me personally I leave my MFC set to dive all the time and never turn it off... sorry if Im starting to sound like Andy Rooney. There is one last detail that I'm on the fence about, their seat saver. When your reg sits in the closet there is a knife edged hole cutter(kinda looks like a whole cutter) that is sitting up against a soft rubber seat. This knife edge moves away from the seat only when you inhale, but at all other times it is being pushed into the seat via spring tension. Atomics decided that there was no need for the knife edge to be making a dent in the soft seat when your reg is sitting dry in the closet so they added a wavy washer to separate the knife edge soft rubber until air pressure is applied. This is one of the main reasons that Atomic regs don't require rebuilding EVERY year as other regs do. I think this is a pretty slick add on to the reg, if it fails then the reg works like all other regs and wears the seat faster.
In the end (finally) if I were to buy another reg for normal recreational diving conditions, I would buy an Atomics. I would not buy the T2 as I just don't have that kind of money to blow on a reg. I think the T regs are for people with more money than brains, or for the people who travel allot and weight is a key consideration.
hth just my humble rambling...

Although it sounds like you are pretty committed to learn to scuba dive, I suggest waiting to purchase gear after getting some time under water. Just in case some problem turns up and changes your mind. Dive gear, as you can see, is expensive. One class under water alleviated any concerns diving was something I may wish to do but may not be able or comfortable doing.

With that said I’ll admit I ended up purchasing all primary gear (except tanks) after Pool Dive 1 and before open water class dives. My LDS gave me a student discount while in class that was for many items greater than I now get as a former student and contributed to that decision. I also desired to learn with my gear while still under supervision (against instructor recommendation) and have no regrets. Figuring out what to get has to be easier with some sort of experience. If you are able to try out a number of different options I’d definitely go for that in classes prior to committing to purchasing. At least try all the options they have, in say back inflate vs vest.

I found it helpful when making my relatively inexperienced choices was finding people to ask about the choices that seemed to think as I did. For example I am willing to pay what it takes for me to feel confidant I’m investing in high quality for something such as a regulator. I gave less weight to the opinions and advice of persons stressing a regulator was adequate.

For reviews I looked for manufacturer + model + review. They can be hard to find, it’s a somewhat limited industry. Actually that is exactly how I found ScubaBoard and I think the reviews are quite good here. Not just tested but by persons using them, over time and in a variety of conditions. Here is one for Atomic (I’m biased feeling it is the #1 thing that makes me comfortable.):D

The manufactures you are looking at are good (as best as I’m able to determine) if not very good. The decision of what product they offer should be dependent on how you will be using it. A major concern when purchasing I think is to consider what type of diving you are inclined to and/or primarily doing (cold, travel, tropical, deep etc.) It can significantly affect the wisdom of your choices. I looked at package deals but unable to find one that wasn’t a compromise somewhere I felt certain I would regret. However I am very fussy when it comes to comfort and suspect things I find annoying most people wouldn’t notice.:)

As far as computers I suggest investigating the algorithms each is based upon and then identify how you are most comfortable processing the information a dive computer provides, accessing the information (console, number of buttons, intuitive operation, AI.) Learning how to use a computer while in class can help identify them before making the purchase.

As for Seaquest, I have one and like it very much. I have developed a concern regarding their warranty policies affecting if I’d purchase an Aqualung product again. As I’m at this time unable to get confirmation from Aqualung confirming a warranty service denial (I paid for a repair to get it back) PM me if you want any more info on that.
I’ve also got an Oceanic BC that I like. I wish each had all the good points (that I appreciate) instead of ½ on one and ½ on the other. I’m pleased with the quality although the Oceanic is heavier and it contributed to my choice when traveling. If you haven’t considered going the BP/Wing route I strongly suggest you do now before investing in a jacket.

The fins I haven’t used, no help there.

I’ve become a die hard Henderson diver (in my current diving mind you.) I’ve disliked the price but was unable to justify the comfort from any other I’ve tried outweighing it.

So in total I’d say you are being steered in good directions for quality. And you should go with the best you can afford and are comfortable with. Here too I am biased, it worked for me.:blinking:

I have to agree with RedRover about waiting until you've at least taken classes before buying gear. Ebay is full of gear for sale from people who have dropped out of diving quickly.

Thanks everyone. Very very useful information. After reading the magazin reviews I found that the Atomic B2 and Z1 are not for me. The Atomic M1 , Oceanic GT3, Oceanic Zeta, and Oceanic Delta 4 are all good choices though. The reason I say this is because I will be diving Nitrox alot and the reviews all said do not get a regulator with Titanium parts if diving Nitrox. Also after reading the reviews I have noticed that service for Atomic does seem to be more difucult to find. That doesn't really bother me since my local shop services them though. I will be moving to Miami in 2 years though and maybe it would be a problem there. Maybe I also should have mentioned that I am finishing my BS in Biology and will be starting the PHD in Marine Science in Miami. I plan on doing a decent amount of diving and would like to start with decent equipment that is going to last me with regular maintenance because while in school in Miami we will basically be living on my wife's salary so we will not have moeny to buy more equipment.

As most have said, you won't go wrong with either reg brand. Going with what your local shop sells and services is the best approach. The bigger quality / functionality differences are in the price range within each brand. So, a mid-range Zeagle, a mid-range Apeks, a mid-range Oceanic, a mide-range Mares will give equivalent performance, and better performance than a low-range model from any of the brands. But, if you are a new diver, going to modest depths in warm water, you don't need a $600 Apeks ATX200. I dive Henderson wetsuits, and a Suunto computer and love them. But, Oceanic is just as reliable a brand as well. One thing I would encourage: starting out, buy through a (one) local shop that you feel comfortable doing business with. There are lots are great deals on-line, and you may save a few $$. But, a competent local shop is where you will get advice, assistance, good informal recommendations that will help you get in the water in a safe and enjoyable manner. [And, no, I am not a shop owner or employee. :)]

I dive a SeaQuest Balance BC and am happy with the choice.
I also have a Suunto Computer. Easy to use and read with a conservative profile.
My reg is the Titan LX.

Good-Luck with your classes.

I think the T regs are for people with more money than brains,

Thanks, I'm a Ti1 owner :D:D
And I love my Ti1

Personally I feel that the oceanic regs are flimsy, but they function very well. The atomics have always recieved very high reviews, but I've never personally used one (too expensive for me...)
If the shop will let you try stuff out, DO SO! The best reg, BCD, mask, fins, etc are going to be the ones you feel the most comfortable with. The differences between them are minimal, often unnoticed by the average diver. Find gear that makes you feel secure and you like the way it operates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom