Equipment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pro99line

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be starting me lessons March 3rd and I was just talking to the shop and they sell may brands of equipment but said their best was Oceanic and Atmomic regulators. He kept trying to push the Atomic saying it was a much better reg. Is there enough difference between the two companies or should I just go for the one that I like and can afford. I plan on spending no more than 500 on the reg of that helps. For that range I seen the Oceanic Delta 4, GTX3, and Zeta. I seen Atomic B2, Z1, Z2, and M1 series.

The shop also had Oceanic and Atomic fins and recommended the Atomic. Any thoughts?

The sell Oceanic and Seaquest BC's. Any thoughts?

They sell Oceanic and Suunto. Any thoughts?

They sell Henderson wetsuits. Any thoughts?

Basically since this is the equipment they sell and service locally I am going to stick with these brands so it will be easier for me and I will not have to ship anything off. From what I have been seeing online I can get a full Oceanic setup for a decent price but did not know if it is really all the good or not. I know they are very popular but name does not always determine the best product. Thanks again everyone. You have been great.

Both Oceanic and Atomic make great regulators. You won't go wrong with either of them, so order whichever you like best. (You may want to dive them before you buy one. Have the shop guy agree to rent you one of whatever they have in rental before you actually buy something. Compare and contrast...)

Here's a way to check out archive threads comparing specific gear items and manufacturers over the past several years. Command bar across the top of this page, fourth button from the right side is Search. Click on it, then on Advanced Search. Putting in Oceanic computer, Suunto computer, Atomic reg, etc. (or any combination thereof) should give you more than a few threads where people have gone over these things in detail, including some input from the manufacturers reps.

Best with your decision-making...

Doc

Thanks Doc. The shop actually lets you test the equipment in the pool before you buy it. I searched and read and read and read. I read about how atleast one person has said good things about all the equipment I mentioned. I just did not know if one stodd out from the other.

Can anyone provide me with links to some good non-biased equipment review websites? This would actually help prevent me from asking these tye of questions here. Thanks.

pro99line:
Can anyone provide me with links to some good non-biased equipment review websites? This would actually help prevent me from asking these tye of questions here. Thanks.

Ask your questions away... that's how you learn. The search function here might show some very similar thread requests and many answers.

As for reivews, I wouldn't call SD magazine completely unbiased, but I doubt you'll find that anywhere, including here as everyone has different opinions.

Check out SD magazine regulator reviews. You'll find the Oceanic and Atomic are good regulators.
http://www.scubadiving.com/regulators

As for the regulators you asked about, My choice would be the Delta 4 or the GTX3. Nothing wrong with the Atomics, it's just cost/performance. The Atomics just cost more. You'll also find fewer Atomic dealers for service. But, like I said above, just my opinion :)

As for BC's, Wetsuits, etc, the same site has gear reviews on all.
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear

Nothing wrong with Henderson. They fit great, just pricey. Check out their Thermo-prene line. About half the cost of the Hyperstretch and still has a good amount of stretch in it.

hope that helps.

-Mike

mike_s:
Ask your questions away... that's how you learn. The search function here might show some very similar thread requests and many answers.

As for reivews, I wouldn't call SD magazine completely unbiased, but I doubt you'll find that anywhere, including here as everyone has different opinions.

Check out SD magazine regulator reviews. You'll find the Oceanic and Atomic are good regulators.
http://www.scubadiving.com/regulators

As for the regulators you asked about, My choice would be the Delta 4 or the GTX3. Nothing wrong with the Atomics, it's just cost/performance. The Atomics just cost more. You'll also find fewer Atomic dealers for service. But, like I said above, just my opinion :)

As for BC's, Wetsuits, etc, the same site has gear reviews on all.
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear

Nothing wrong with Henderson. They fit great, just pricey. Check out their Thermo-prene line. About half the cost of the Hyperstretch and still has a good amount of stretch in it.

hope that helps.

-Mike

Thanks.That is what I was looking for. I have been reading many good things about the Oceanic Delta 4. This shop services both brands so I do not think that is a problem. I was thinking of just getting a full set of Oceanic equipment since I can get a decent deal on packages that way. I am finding that it appears to be good gear so I couldn't go wrong.

You really can't go wrong with either. It is all about what you feel comfortable with and what you can get serviced locally. I did 4 dives with the Oceanic GTX3 and was really impressed. It would be my primary reg had I not found a good deal on a new Apeks reg prior. I have an Oceanic Excursion BC and am very impressed with the quality of their products. Before all else do some serious searching in the equipment forums and get an idea of what is out there for you. You have to look past a lot of the Atomic and BP/W stuff and don't get too caught up in it all. Find what works for you and what you can both afford and are comfortable with and suits your diving needs and go from there. Good luck.

mike_s:
As for reviews, I wouldn't call SD magazine completely unbiased, but I doubt you'll find that anywhere, including here as everyone has different opinions.

Agreed. There is always a bias. Of course, it can all work out as long as you have the hold the same biases :p

For general reviews, I prefer detailed responses on ScubaBoard and DecoStop over the magazines. However, magazine reviews are nice to help narrow the field down.

Along with Scuba Diving, there's Divernet:
http://divernet.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?from=1&id=&section=2

just bought oceanic excursion bc gtx3 reg octo 180 and ve0 250 computer got it from www.oceanrealm.com talk with cathy awesome person and got a great deal shipping is low one of the best expieriences i have ever had with any purchase you cant go wrong i will finish up my open water this weekend i ordered equipment and it was at my door in two days they are a authorized dealer believe you get free atpak 4(luggage0 with purchase of complete system

pro99line:
Thanks.That is what I was looking for. I have been reading many good things about the Oceanic Delta 4. This shop services both brands so I do not think that is a problem. I was thinking of just getting a full set of Oceanic equipment since I can get a decent deal on packages that way. I am finding that it appears to be good gear so I couldn't go wrong.

One small advantage of the Oceanic gear over the Atomic gear is that there are more Oceanic dealers around the country/world if you have a warranty problem while on vacation. Now this isn't a huge deal as FEDEX can get you a part overnight or you can use a rental backup reg if needed and fix when you get home if you chose Atomic.

However, you can't go wrong with either brand.

Like I said, I'd suggest the Delta 4 or the GTX3. Of course the Delta 4 is a little nicer, but there is nothing wrong with a GTX3. It's a great regulator and a good all around one for someone starting out and putting a ton of money in the sport, but doesn't want to drop $500 to $600 on a reg yet.

For about $1000 to $1,200 bucks you can get a GTX3, octo, weight inegrated BC and nitrox computer/gauges. So not a bad deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom