equipment maint & repair certs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

How does one go about getting certified to maintain and repair scuba equipment?

I took it from a shop that has a great repair tech/instructor. I myself learned enough to do real minor repairs but enough to know that I wanted a tech to do my repairs.:confused: After all it is LIFE SUPPORT equipment we are talking about.

Charles

I think Sharky's asking how to become a technician himself, so he *can* repair his own equipment rather than taking it to someone else. I don't know for sure, I've kind of wondered as well, but I'd imagine it's just like any other sport out there - call the factory you want to service their gear (ScubaPro, Oceanic, AquaLung, etc) and talk to them about becoming a certified tech. It'll probably cost a bit of money, and a lot of (most?) those programs you'd have to travel to get the training from the factory directly..

My LDS has offered to instruct me to service most of my gear. I am not interested in servicing other peoples gear, but rather my own in remote locations.

Stan

sharky60:
Hey all,

How does one go about getting certified to maintain and repair scuba equipment?

Well to be "certified" in most cases you need to take a manufacturers course. And to do that you need to be a dealer, or work for one. You will have to decide for yourself if you have better things to do. Of course certification is primarily about liability and very secondarily about having knowledge about servicing your gear.

Of course your gear, is your gear, and you can do whatever you want to with it. For some people picking up a wrench and turning it is far too tricky and endeavor to take on, but for other not. Now some caution is in order, but the usual "it's life support equipment" line is usually espoused by the monetarily motivated or the ignorant. Let me suggest that if you are willing to take responsibility for your own actions go ahead and service your own gear.

The internet is your friend. On it you can find manuals and parts for many pieces of equipment. Also when you make gear purchases consider purchasing from manufacturers that will supply parts. Stay far, far away from manufacturers that assume that you are too dumb to touch your own equipment and will not provide parts and manuals.

Aquanautchuck:
I took it from a shop that has a great repair tech/instructor. I myself learned enough to do real minor repairs but enough to know that I wanted a tech to do my repairs.:confused: After all it is LIFE SUPPORT equipment we are talking about.

Charles

As others have mentioned, most manufacturers require you to take the factory class and to do that, you have to be a dealer or sponsored by one. I personally think the manufacturers are missing out on a cash cow. Think of the divers willing to pay $100 bucks for a class to service there own gear. They could use the dive industry as a model and have different classes for different items. (basic regulator service, advanced regulator service, specialty in BC inflators! It's a shame I tell you)

On the issue of it being life support equipment. Well, that's a bit overstated. A better description would be a precision instrument requireing specific specialized tools to properly service. Mind you, I never said it was difficult just that you needed specific tools that aren't normally found at your local hardware store. Specificially, and IP gauge, spanner wrenches (had to make that one) or long throated schrader valve tool (made that one too). The actual service is very straightforward. (At least on the gear I service/own). Your gear could be very different

Aquanautchuck:

Charles

If you feel your mechanical abilities are too limited, it is best to leave it to the tech.

Certification, I don't know. For the knowledge, many people recommend the books of Airspeed Press.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom