equipment maint & repair certs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharky,
We have trained a lot of techs and here is the order of events (in my opinion):

1. Be sure you know how to use tools correctly. You would be amazed how many people really don't understand the correct use of tools and how their mis-use can do damage and even injury. I have had people shove screwdrivers through their hands, break off o-ring picks while prying with them etc.
2. Get with a seasoned professional service technician - someone that has been working on gear for at least 10 years. There is a lot of "technique" in working on scuba gear and there are a host of " tricks" to make the job easier, quicker or more accurate.
3. Get a thorough grounding in regulator theory. Most problems with regulators can be thought out before you ever put a wrench to them.
4. Serve an internship with one or more really experienced technicians. This is where you will really learn what it takes to make money doing service and repair.
5. Get yourself sponsored into the seminars that are true service technician seminars offered, usually at DEMA. The seminars offered by the manufacturer's representative at your LDS are usuall very narrow in scope and are designed to give the instructors the credentials the need tgo be able to offer an Equipment Specialty Course. These are not what you need.

Even some of the factory courses are less that one might want. Some of them are just going thorough the motions while others are quite involved. A rule of thumb is that the name brands will be doing the best job at this.

After that it is a matter of doing it. Be ready to be surprised on a regular basis. You will see equipment that will make your hair stand up to realize that somebody actually dives with it. You will see equipment that you think you know what you are going to find inside - until you open it up. You will be surprised at how satisfying it is to do a good job and know it.

Good Luck!
Mudturtle

You Know ,there are tons of MFG. Updates for repairs, without working for a dealer you won't have excess too , don't loose you life working on your own equipment >>>>

scubapig52:
You Know ,there are tons of MFG. Updates for repairs, without working for a dealer you won't have excess too , don't loose you life working on your own equipment >>>>

Why is it so obvious when a poster works in an LDS? Anybody know when the last instance of a diver being lost as a result of his working on hos own gear?? :(

scubapig52:
...don't loose you life working on your own equipment >>>>

I take a cautious approach to this topic. Most people should not service their own stuff plain and simple. However, regulators are designed by humans, built by humans, and serviced by humans. If you are a human then with proper study, training, and tools you will be just as qualified to do the work as anyone else.

I've known skydivers who would not let anyone else pack their chute. Why? Because it's LIFE SUPPORT equipment and they were not going to put that responsibility in anyone else's hands! If you study until you understand the theory backward and forward (not basic theory - but truly understand every aspect of a particular model), have the right tools, have the right technique, have the specs and procedure documentation, then who better to work on your reg than you? Will the 17 year old kid who's been working at the shop for 6 months take the same level of care that you will? Maybe he will. It's your choice to make. I don't service my own regs, but I understand why some do. It's not about saving a few bucks.

-Ben

scubapig52:

By that logic there are tons of regulators in use that are unsafe. The most common mode of regulator failure I hear of is having it serviced by "trained" technicians. It is simply better to have your regulator serviced by someone who cares about what they are doing. The person using the regulator being serviced is usually more motivated to do a good job than anyone else. DiveRite and Salvo are selling parts, and I have yet to see the piles of bodies.

You Know I don't Care; I have been in the dive Business for 37 Years I'm Sure I know what I'm Talking About , fools work on there own equipment. I have seen it over a 100 times ...

scubapig52:
You Know I don't Care; I have been in the dive Business for 37 Years I'm Sure I know what I'm Talking About , fools work on there own equipment. I have seen it over a 100 times ...

Fools let some other fool work on their dive equipment.

Back
Top Bottom