Equipment Insanity - The Seminal Moment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL It must be a very small boat. After many, many years of owning/operating boats, I have learned that nothing can suck money like a boat. I remember hoping, when I put my boat on the yard for it's annual hull cleaning and bottom painting, that I would not find anything to repair. That way I MIGHT be able to get back in the water for not much more than $1000. If I did find something wrong, it was thousands. And I did almost all of the work myself!
You've never owned horses, have you?

Actually, my ex-wife and daughter were very much into showing horses, and we raised quite a few. I know full well about the expense involved. One thing I do prefer about boats is that I never got the emotional involvement that I did with horses. If a boat breaks, I fix it. Simple. Never shed a tear. I recall spending thousands on vet bills and months of heart rending TLC on an injured horse and having to put him down anyway.

I started back up last year with a used kit. As my buddy's sac improved to where I was calling the dive with my ST 72 vs his 80 I figured I should tank up and just bought an hp100. And so it begins....

I started back up last year with a used kit. As my buddy's sac improved to where I was calling the dive with my ST 72 vs his 80 I figured I should tank up and just bought an hp100. And so it begins....

Oh, you poor guy! Once you start, it never ends. You fill a room with dive equipment and say to yourself "Okay. now I have everything I need to dive." Then that little flash of chrome catches your eye or the smell of fresh new neoprene wafts through the air...

I decided to buy all my own gear when I did all the calculations and found that renting would cost way more in the long run than owning. And once in a while, I see something shiny that I really want.
I did the same and I'm afflicted the same .... "oooh, shiny"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom