Equipment... I'm so lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, 2Grand is not enough to buy two people everything you need from an LDS. I like to buy my regs from an LDS (apecks, scubapro 250, 600, legend (aqualung) mostly for the warranty. BCs, think about the BP and wings. A natural progression is jacket BC, back inflation BC, and then backplate and wings. Why buy stuff you will eventually outgrow if you move towards tech? Do it right. But remember, no one wing is right for everything( 35lb or less for singles). You can always get additional wings as you move to doubles. Do not waste your time with suits less than a 3/2mm. I dive a 4/3 for tropics and a 7mm for everything else. I have never been too warm
(unless your suit keeps you at 98.6 degrees you are losing warmth, air, time, comfort, energy).

Yeah, and who knows how many people have used it (rental regs) before you?! Bleh...

My 2 cents.....

BC system first followed by exposure suit. These are the tools that will effect the learning curve of the diver. Change 'em all around all the time and you are going to slow the learning of the fine tuning that buoyancy control requires -- true buoyancy control.

I can breathe any old crappy reg. If I'm a newbie, I'm not that deep anyway.

A shiny M1 I'm sure breathes fine at 45ft ( and you look cool ), but it's not helping me learn to dive in control.

Square away issues that effect your buoyancy and then look for regs.

Most of you have it backwards.

The reg is almost my last purchase.

I personally would skimp on the things that don't really matter (figuratively speaking), and go all out on things like reg, 1st stage, comfortable wet suit, mask, pressure gauge and computer. did I miss anything? if you need to skimp, get a bottom of the line octo, gloves, booties (they're basically the same once you're in the water)..luggage bags, little accessories. I started off with the B2, and it kicks ***...the only thing I don't like about it, is how the ports are arranged on the 1st stage. I also use the halcyon bp/w setup, and it's awesome underwater. it does have a tendency to put you face first while you're on the surface, but swimming backwards solves that. It doesn't come cheap, but I always say pay for the things you really want now, instead of starting off with a cheapo set, and forking out the cash for something better later anyways... what ever brand you go with, you really can't go wrong....it's a matter of comfort, bells and whistles...I'm sure they all make quality life-support equipment. I think most people start off with their own 1st stage, octo and 2nd stage...for ease of mind when going on trips.....wetsuit, dive computer and bc come next... I'm not too sure about being able to get 2 full sets for 2grand...you might be able to get 1 good full set.

If I was to do it all over again.

1. BP&W $445.00 here
2. Reg/Octo/Spg $400.00 here [Zegle Envoy Deluxe, Envoy Octo]
3. Nitrox Compatible Computer $289 here
4. Exposure Suit $215 here

Total for the basics: $1350 Damn already over budget

Oops I forgot Compass, Light, Backup Light, weightbelt, weights, hood, tanks, etc, etc, etc. Oh you wannabe a photographer add another $1-2K easy.
:lol:

To answer your question, I'd start with an exposure suit [remember they wear out, it's a consumable, so don't spend a bundle], it will add to your comfort and you want it to fit right and not have somebody's bodily fluid residue and a BP&W so you can get your weight and trim down, know how to work it in a pinch and will be what your wearing as you progress and do your homework on regs before you buy them they can wait awhile.

"opinions are like :mooner:<-holes, everybody's got one!"

You said he's your boyfriend, who's name is on the refund, if it's your's take it all, screw him, you'll need it :D

shark.byte.usa:
If I was to do it all over again.

4. Exposure Suit $215 here

Why a 7mm wetsuit? The women's Neosport 4/3 is only $85 and is a fine suit for anything over 65 F. I like it better than the $500 InstaDry.

TheRedHead:
Why a 7mm wetsuit? The women's Neosport 4/3 is only $85 and is a fine suit for anything over 65 F. I like it better than the $500 InstaDry.

Longstocking:
...We will be diving in cold...water
I don't know if the avg temps in Maryland are over 65F, but hey I could be wrong. She'll need something else for warm I agree. I got my 7mm for $100, but it was an annual sale and I got lucky to find my size. Still puts me over her 1K budget. :D

2k is a ball park figure.... we know it's not going to cover everything right this moment. That's why I said NO RUSH ....we don't want to "skimp" on anything....by that I mean.... what's right for us....

Currently 2k give or take 5 bills is what we want to spend.... on getting "some" equipment... the rest will come later.

I do know that most people in Maryland wear 7mm farmer johns/janes with hoods.... I think I'm 100% I'm going to get my wetsuit first ( I just get to cold to easily).... but I'm having a hard time knowing what a good price range would be for a farmer jane. I actually tried on a mans large at my lds that fit pretty darn good.... I'm 5'10" - 5'11" so I think I'm going to have to go with a mans suit?

If your LDS deals Atomic and Scubapro (don't get me wrong, it's great gear) you can guarantee that they are OVERPRICED on almost everything, it's the nature of the way in which the industry in organized. Interesting to note how an LDS that handles those brands has nothing else on the shelf.

Atomic and Scubapro is great gear, very pricey and, frankly, suitable gear can be had from many other manufacturers at a fraction of the price. Look at Mares, Oceanic, Sherwood, etc., and buy in the middle of the price range unless there is something that jumps out at you and you have to have it!

Longstocking:
I do know that most people in Maryland wear 7mm farmer johns/janes with hoods.... I think I'm 100% I'm going to get my wetsuit first ( I just get to cold to easily).... but I'm having a hard time knowing what a good price range would be for a farmer jane. I actually tried on a mans large at my lds that fit pretty darn good.... I'm 5'10" - 5'11" so I think I'm going to have to go with a mans suit?

Longstocking, I'm 5'10" and find the Henderson women's suits are longer and they run a little big. Henderson Hyperstretch are the most comfortable thick suits. You can wear a hooded vest underneath. Personally I would go dry before I wore a 7mm jane, but that would definitely wreck your budget.

As far as men's suits go, if they don't hug all of your curves, they won't keep you warm as water will fill any baggy space. Many LDS's carry only limited sizes and will try to sell you what they have in stock. Call Larry at scubatoys.com and talk to him about your suit. They will send you several suits to try on and you can send ones which don't fit back to scubatoys.

Back
Top Bottom