Equipment... I'm so lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree, if cave diving is in your future, listen to loosebits.

I want to avoid entry level equipment.... as I would rather pay more now than even more later..... I want good stuff that will allow me to be comfortable !! It can be cheap.... but good ... :wink: I don't need to buy eveything.... we just want to start aquiring equipment now... and slowly build up... if that means we only buy 2 regulators.... that's fine... if we get more than regulators or bc's.... great.... but we are in NO RUSH.

So back plates are just as good for recreational diving as well? As I'm learning and devloping techniques... this will be efficiant untill I get to that point?

I plan on taking a nitrox class.... so we want to be able to us air and nitrox with our equipmnt... if that makes any difference.

My husband and I got our regs before our BC's. We both have the Atomic B2. We rec dive, so I don't know how appropriate they are for cave or tech dives. But I can tell you we are very pleased with our choice. They breathe extremely well, and are dry even when standing on your head. (Even had my octo in once on a dive by mistake, and didn't even know it.) We dive in cold New England waters, and warm water vacations.

We had to build up our gear gradually too. Where there's two of us in the sport that means two of everything (cha-ching).

We got the regs first because we needed more time to find the right BC's at the right price, and because we both felt that was more important when chosing between renting a BC or reg when we dove. The dependability and quality of the reg trumped the fit of a rented BC.

Just my two cents...

Good luck!

Backplates are fine for recreational diving. It's what I use, and what a number of my friends use. It's not the only answer, but if you are planning on going on to technical diving, it makes sense to start with what you are going to have to use eventually, anyway.

Longstocking I plan on taking a nitrox class.... so we want to be able to us air and nitrox with our equipmnt... if that makes any difference.[/QUOTE:
whatever Regs you buy will be fine with Air or Nitrox - just make sure if you buy a computer it does both (and also has Guage mode as well just in case you need it later).

TSandM:
As far as an entry-level regulator goes, I think the Aqualung Titan has been a very good choice for us. It was recommended by our LDS, was well below the cost of their top end regs, and has performed well in cold and warm water for 150 dives for me.

I suppose what you buy first could have to do with how satisfactory what you can rent is for you. If you are a very small woman and can't find anything in a rental BC that is comfortable and stable, you might want to buy a BC first. But regs are much easier to carry with you when you travel, and are such critical pieces of life support that I think I'd buy them first, so that you know what you have and how it's been cared for and serviced. You can, of course, find many discussions and differing opinions on this in the SB archives :)

Titan is an excellent choice for a moderate cost reg. Being from Maryland, if you intend to dive wrecks in the mid-atlantic (Maryland to NYC) get the LX model for cold water.

I think the key is that you said you are in no hurry. Then don't rush it. If I read it right, you haven't even done your checkout dives yet. That means you really don't know what your gear does or doesn't do for you yet. No sense buying until you have something to judge it by. Let your LDS work with you on a good fitting BC, that will help you decide what type to buy, but I am with a previous poster that recommended the exposure suit first. A good fit is something you already know you want. You need a few dives before you get into looking at regs and beyond. (Assuming you already have the basic mask, fins, and snorkel)

I waited for over a year before I purchased my first reg. I tried several different brands as rentals first. Each one fits and breaths a little different.:wink:

ty everyone.... this has cleared up a lot of things for me. Still a bit lost on the computer/console/guages things.... but I guess with time I will figure it out. Just not sure which kind of set-up would be good for a diver that wants to try everything... and wants to keep upgrading to a minimum.

Just in case I misread your post...have you done any dives in the pool yet? Any dives in open water? I wouldn't buy any equipment yet until you are sure you will even be able to scuba dive at all. A friend of mine who bought about $2k worth of gear before he was certified was horrified to learn that he has a problem with his ear canals and cannot equalize underwater no matter what he does. I see you are in no rush, especially being in a six week course so just be sure you can handle a simple thing like water pressure before you blow your tax return.

Back
Top Bottom