Equipment for my son (Padi Seal Team Soon 2 Be Member!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone:

Another question from a newbie here-

At the minimum I want to get him mask/snorkel, fins and neoprene boots. I found a combination of Deep See (pls excuse spelling) for MFS. Is this brand a decent “scuba” quality or is it something equal or close to what you buy for $30 from a local big box store?

So, can anyone point me in the correct direction? I want him to have nice quality items to use, but also looking at to a degree at most a season of usage.

Thanks in advance for the help.

(I told him once he gets certified @ ten I would purchase him middle to high end complete set-up to keep him going. So in 2 years I’ll be posting comments for that….)

Check this out
Cressi Sirena Mask
Cressi Delta 1 Snorkel
Cressi Palau Fins
Cressi Aquapro 5R BCD XS or XXS depending on size
Cressi MC5 Black Regulator
Cressi Stretch Gloves
Cressi Otter 5mm or 7mm Boots
Cressi 3 Gauge Analog Console

Cressi has been around since 1946 and is one of the biggest names in Scuba Worldwide.

If you want something less... Deep See will work fine... but when shopping and comparing prices... have a look at Cressi... you won't be disappointed. We routinely use this gear with kids we work with. They love it...

Last edited:
I have been associated with several deaf individuals over the years. I feel they are great partners , because they are use to dealing with eye to eye communication. Also, I feel that being deaf should not disqualify them from solo diving. A friend of mine, who was deaf could tell more from the change in vibration, than I could from actually hearing everything that was being said! Everyone must be judged on their own abilities, not by generalizations!!

My son has done fine, but I have also ready stories (again stories I stress) that some people can't stand the device. Not sure how someone couldn't "stand it" to hear.....???

I can't really help with the gear question, but as for the above comment, I'll heard that the change from not hearing to hearing can be somewhat traumatic, they've gone from silence to a huge amount of unknown sounds that you or I just take for granted and ignore because we know what's making the sounds (like the sound of a dryer or washing machine). Imagine a bunch of people yelling at you or speaking urgently in several different languages, none of which you understand, probably pretty scary, especially if you can't see that most of them are talking on their cellphones handsfree. It's probably fairly similar to that.

Yes & No

So lets not just make it sound simple - because it is not...

Let's not make this sound more difficult than it is - because it isn't

Virtually ALL of the communication I have with my buddy/team is via hand and light signals. The notion that audible communication is somehow vital to diving safely is laughable.

Your diving knowledge...

is laughable.

Lets all hope no one is listening to your advice.

Divers need to hear recall signals and divers need to hear boats and divers need to hear audible devices such as rattles and shakers and tank bangers when their buddies or possibly even other divers near them - who are not their buddies are in trouble.

Your attitude will one day make you a statistic... Mr. Junior Diver.

I hope and pray not... but I'd check yourself before you wreck yourself...

.....His little brother can’t dive ever due to being deaf so sharing it won’t work…

I am sorry for your little baby.

Tell him to play with our eDiving scuba diving simulator .... it is the closest thing to diving except being in the water for real.
With our simulator he can explore real dive sites and equip the diver with real gear.

And if you have 2 PCs, the 2 brothers can virtually dive together :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Your diving knowledge...

Divers need to hear recall signals and divers need to hear boats and divers need to hear audible devices such as rattles and shakers and tank bangers when their buddies or possibly even other divers near them - who are not their buddies are in trouble.

I can't believe you acually make posts like this and at the same time reference your business in your sig line:rofl3::rofl3:

The last time I saw or even heard of an actual diver using rattles or tank bangers was um leeme see - never!

Oh and I'm pretty sure you can FEEL a nearby boat motor in your gut, hearing or no.

Your diving knowledge...

Rattles, shakers, and tank bangers huh. Sounds like a big old party where you dive.

Rattles, shakers, and tank bangers huh. Sounds like a big old party where you dive.

I forgot to mention our Party Hats!

...I am in the 'research' process of buying a new reg set-up. (I have narrowed it down to the MK17 and MK25 with with GV250). To close the point, I can ge the MK17 set from LP for about $350 with shipping. My LDS is $600 plus tax. Sure the warranty is through LP however I could buy another new one and have it shipped overnight for the most part if the primary failed. I don't mind buying from the LDS but when they are charging 2x the price how can that be justified. I have ordered a fair share from LP and had great luck.
Scubapro is one of the brands that is very adamant about not allowing online sales. So, this scubapro gear is surely grey market. I'm not against LP as such. I've bought stuff there as well as other online retailers. But Scubapro is soooo against online sales that they now put serial numbers on everything they make, including masks, fins and snorkels, just so they can keep track of where stuff got diverted to the grey market. If you want Scubapro, I'd suggest going to your LDS.

Back
Top Bottom