Equipment 4 noob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OzeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

Im only new to diving (hlafway thru PADI OW) and looking to buy some basic equipment; fins,mask, snorkel

So far i have decided on;
Mares Plana Avanti Quattros
Mares X Vision
and dunno bout the snorkel yet?

and recommendations appreciated thx

Jordan

Sounds like good fin and mask choices. As long as they fit well and work for you you're fine.

Snorkels have been discussed often so you might check out the search feature or read some posts in this mask/fins/snorkels forum if you haven't. Dry snorkels with large elaborate purges and splash guards may sound good, and they can be nice if you do a lot of snorkeling, but for diving they can get in the way. For diving many people prefer something as simple as possible, if they continue to dive with a snorkel at all. People that do a lot of surface swims probably wear snorkels more, but if you don't regularly use the thing it just gets in the way and even tends to make your mask leak. Some people compromise and carry a snorkel in a pocket or strap it someplace in case they need it. It's easier to do that with a snorkel that folds up somehow or at least isn't too bulky.

Get a cheap snorkle. You won't be using it much. Good choices on mask and fins.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Dave Zimmerly:
Get a cheap snorkle. You won't be using it much. Good choices on mask and fins.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I agree for the most part. Welcome to diving!:D

Another thought on snorkels is to choose a sherwood avid. It folds down and can be placed in a pocket while diving.

The avanti fins are great. I still have the pair I bought in 1988. They have yellowed slightly, but the rubber is still fine. Good powerful fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom