Equalizing with Interspiro mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve from NZ

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I posted a couple messages early last year about my new full face mask, the Interspiro AGA, and I regret to say I'm still having trouble equalising. I glued a piece of neoprene (as suggested in one helpful post) on top of the nose block supplied with the mask, but the whole block often comes off its wire stand after the first couple of equalising attempts. Any suggestions please?

Apart from that, the mask is great!

Thanks

Steve

I would suggest it's time to fabricate your own wedge block holder.
Get a good pair of needle nose pliers and one large paper clip.
remove the existing wire holder and use it as a guide.
if what you need is a wedge block that pinches better, try making the loop tighter. Dont be afraid to use a razor on the block if your nose shape is odd. If what you need is a wedge block that is closer to your face, extend the loop out 1/4". sit down on the couch and relax with this project, it takes time. start by bending the bolt hole first and work your way down the wire. When you reinstall the block grease er up w/ a lil silicone! When I equalize one hand goes behind my head and the other below the lens for maximum force. Good luck!

I need to have the block at its highest point which does make it more unstable and it did frequently fall off. I used zip ties to secure the block to the wire frame. I am the only one using the mask so the block does not need to be changed frequenty. That stopped if from falling off while I improved my technique. I was finding that the reason I was pushing so hard and causing the block to come off was becuase I did not have a good seal on my nose. Instead of applying more pressure I found that moving the mask slightly to improve the seal meant I did not have to push as hard and thus the block does not stay in place. Keep working on it and you will find that over time it gets easier.

Best of luck,

Mark

Thanks Mark, I've found it work well the first time I equalise, then the block falls off so the cabe ties should help. And as you say, it is probably all in the technique - I must be pushing way too hard.

Hello Steve,

One common mistake that people make when trying to equalize is that they tuck their chin as they attempt to valsalva. Not that this solves every problem, but, try looking up when you equalize. Tucking your chin as you attempt to equalize restricts your eustacean (sp?) tubes. Looking up helps open them.

Back
Top Bottom