EPA gives Oriskany OK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Woo hoo..... let's sink this puppy!

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060215/NEWS01/60215002/1006

Published - February, 15, 2006
EPA gives Oriskany OK
From staff reports

The U.S. Navy announced today that the Environmental Protection Agency has given its approval for the Oriskany reefing project.

The risk-based polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) disposal approval was issued based on EPA?s findings that the disposal action will not pose an unreasonable risk of injury to health or the environment.

This allows the Navy to sink the Oriskany, a Korean War and Vietnam War era aircraft carrier, in May 2006 at an artificial reef site approximately 24 miles off the coast of Pensacola.

The 32,000-ton and 888-foot long Oriskany will become the largest ship intentionally sunk as an artificial reef and will benefit marine life, sport fishing and recreational diving off the Panhandle coast.

A 2004 Florida State University study estimated Escambia County would see $92 million a year in economic benefits from an artificial reef.

The Pensacola Bay Area Chamber of Commerce is planning a ceremony for veterans of the Oriskany in conjunction with the planned scuttling of the ship as an artificial reef.

nice... i know they were waiting for this to get going

now they need to get her here and sink her before hurricane season starts

I have a feeling my family in Pensacola is about to see a lot more of me. WOOHOO!

My aunt lives in destin. Does any one no of a shop in destin that is going to do charters out to the Oriskany?

They ride doesn't bother me with free room involved. Do they have a website or a phone number for once she goes down?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom