EPA gives Oriskany OK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did they settle on the 24 miles out. Why not a touch closer. It has been my expereice in the Panhandle that few shops like to run more than a few miles. The depth and distance likely will result in very limited access. In addition the 24 miles puts it at the extremes of what most people generaly do distance wise in a smaller private boat. In any case, this is an exciting development and I hope it happens for real this time. When do you think the site will be available for diving?
N

Nemrod:
How did they settle on the 24 miles out.
Pretty simple answer... if you draw a straight line from the mouth of Pensacola bay to the closest deep water (called "the nipple"), when you get to 218' deep you're at the site - and that's about 22.5 miles out. Any closer would be too shallow.
Rick

Nemrod:
HIt has been my expereice in the Panhandle that few shops like to run more than a few miles.

True... Most of the run only 4 hour trips only out a few miles.... but that's so they can get back for an afternoon trip and also because divers don't want the costs of longer trips.

There were boats out of Panama City that did longer trips though, like to the Empire MIca, but those were usually "special trips" that only happened ever so often or were dive shop chartered boat trips. The average Empire Mica trip (before Diesel prices skyrocketed) was $125-$150 out of Panama City.

With that said... I expect the Oriskany trip prices to be $125-$185 easily since it's so far out and Diesel is really a whole lot higher. Also insurance costs for the dive boat for this trip will be up, which will forice up the price to that amount also.

The depth and distance likely will result in very limited access. In addition the 24 miles puts it at the extremes of what most people generaly do distance wise in a smaller private boat.

well.... they aren't sinking this ship in this location and at this depth for the primary purposes of divers in mind. Fishing charter boats in the panhandle easily outnumber dive boats 100 to 1 (or more). The average diver spends $60-$70 bucks on a morning dive trip. The average charter boat fisherman spends $150-$200 per person on a 10-12 hour fishing charter. Since fishermen spend so much more per person and they great outnumber the divers so much... It's easy to see this is being sunk for fishermen more than divers.

When do you think the site will be available for diving?
N

After they sink it, which the targeted sinking date is May 15th, they will wait until the Navy can inspect that all explosive charges have detonated or were removed and inspect the wreck before declaring it safe to dive on. Expect that to take a few days to a week.... I don't know if they are going to install moring balls or not at the site for dive boats, but that could take a few extra days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom