EPA gives Oriskany OK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is awesome news! I live in Atl but am from Fairhope (near Gulf Shores, AL) and I look forward to diving in Pensacola ASAP (as well as Gulf Shores this summer).

KBeck:
What's the final decision on depths?

I was told by the Escambia county engineer that the depth required for the permit was 230 feet. But I've seen it stated as 230, 215m 222 and 223 feet in other articles reference in the news. But I don't put much faith in the news media to bother to get all their facts to be 100% accurate.

This depth will put the flight deck at about 130 feet deep, before any settling in the sand.

Her 'tis... Latest guess I've heard is May 15th.

Environmental News
PHONE: (404)562-8327 FAX: (404)562-8335
EPA ISSUES APPROVAL TO DISPOSE OF PCBS ONBOARD THE EX-ORISKANY
(ATLANTA -February 15, 2006) Today, EPA issued to the U.S. Navy and the State of Florida an Approval to Dispose of Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) contained in electrical cable and other non-liquid materials and equipment onboard the decommissioned USS Oriskany. This approval allows the Navy to deploy the ex-Oriskany as an artificial reef in the East Escambia Large Area Artificial Reef Site, located in the Gulf of Mexico, approximately 23 miles south of Pensacola, Fla.
“This is a significant milestone for EPA, the Navy and the State of Florida,” said EPA Deputy Regional Administrator Stan Meiburg. “We are pleased to be able to work with the Navy and Florida in protecting our environment and moving this project forward.”
Based on EPA’s and the Science Advisory Board’s review of the information provided by the Navy in the PCB disposal application, including leaching studies, fate and transport models, and human and ecological risk characterizations, EPA has determined that sinking the ex-Oriskany will not pose an unreasonable risk to human health or the environment. This EPA PCB Disposal Approval for the Navy and Florida applies only to the ex-Oriskany. EPA is currently developing a national approval process for disposal of ships containing non-liquid PCBs through reefing.
The Navy has prepared the vessel for reefing off the coast of Pensacola, Fla., by removing or minimizing materials that may adversely impact the marine environment. An estimated 700 pounds of PCBs contained in felt and foam gaskets, electrical cable, insulation, and heat-resistant paint remain aboard the vessel. In accordance with the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) and its implementing Federal PCB regulations, the Navy applied for a risk-based PCB disposal approval to sink the vessel with the non-liquid PCBs onboard.
The State of Florida and the Navy have developed an agreement that will result in the transfer of the reefed vessel to the State. The PCB Disposal Approval requires the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, in cooperation with the Escambia County Marine Resources Division, to establish a monitoring program to ensure that fish caught at the ex-Oriskany site remain safe for human consumption.
For more information on EPA’s PCB Disposal Approval for the ex-Oriskany, please visit http://www.epa.gov/Region4/air/lead/PCBWebPage.htm.​
###​

mike_s:
I was told by the Escambia county engineer that the depth required for the permit was 230 feet. But I've seen it stated as 230, 215m 222 and 223 feet in other articles reference in the news. But I don't put much faith in the news media to bother to get all their facts to be 100% accurate.

This depth will put the flight deck at about 130 feet deep, before any settling in the sand.
Well, summer before last we just couldn't stand the waiting any more and so we went out and dove the site with Chickdiver. That day it was 218' to the sand.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Well, summer before last we just couldn't stand the waiting any more and so we went out and dove the site with Chickdiver. That day it was 218' to the sand.
Rick

you know... I bet when they came up with the 230 number that they never actually went to any trouble to verify it's accuracy. I'm betting they just looked it up on old charts or used a cheap wal-mart type depth sounder that was years old.

I'm sure you're one of the few who has made the effort to verify it. (thanks)

this might put the flight deck a little higher, for a little while, until the ship does
natural settling in the sand due to weight and currents.

WetDawg:
Do you think it will be feasible for anyone to run trips of of Panama City?

you're looking at 78-80 miles from Panama City. I doubt you'll see any trips from there unless it's a special charter and an overnight one.

However, I'm betting many Panama City dive boat will be moved to Pensacola for a few weeks during the sinking and the initial dive days/weekends.

I'll be happy even to see it back in port at Pensacola, atleast it reassures me that they won't change their minds this far into the game :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom