Vandenberg Purchased, Coming Soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Larry

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just received this message:

DEMA CONGRATULATES THE CITY OF KEY WEST AND THE STATE OF FLORIDA ON ACQUISITION OF THE USS VANDENBERG

Ship Bought at Auction-Destined to Become
The World's Second Largest Artificial Reef

The final fate of the USS Hoyt S. Vandenberg was determined this week when the 524-foot former navy vessel was bought by The First State Bank of the Florida Keys for $1.35 million at a federal auction in Virginia. The sale has cleared the way for the final preparatory work to be completed to bring the former World War II-era missile tracking ship to the Florida Keys where it will be sunk 6 miles off the coast of Key West in early 2009. This will make the USS Vandenberg the second largest artificial reef in the world.
"DEMA is delighted to learn of the purchase of the Vandenberg and congratulates the city of Key West and the First State Bank of the Florida Keys for their perseverance in making the 12-year artificial reef project a reality," stated Tom Ingram, Executive Director of the Diving Equipment & Marketing Association. "We could not be more excited about the positive benefits the sinking of the USS Vandenberg will provide to the local Florida economy including the local dive retailers, charter operators and others in the scuba diving industry, as well as nearby restaurants, hotels and others. The Florida Ships 2 Reefs legislation enacted in 2008 with the assistance of DEMA and PADI was designed specifically to accomplish this kind of development for local economies. According to a recent study by NOAA, the Vandenberg Artificial Reef is estimated to bring in an additional $6.2 million in annual revenues and a half-million dollars in annual sales taxes," Ingram concluded.
The USS Vandenberg will join the USS Oriskany and the USS Spiegel Grove to cement Florida's position as a leader in the number of vessels functioning as artificial reefs in the United States. Thousands of visitors choose Florida to scuba dive on the artificial reef trail, providing an economic boost to the communities of the more than 300 Florida-based retail dive centers and local diving operators. "According to one study, the expenditures of divers visiting artificial reefs in Florida were more than $220 per person per day," added Ingram.
In addition to being spectacular dive sites, artificial reefs provide additional hard-bottom habitats that favor many species of large reef fish. Additionally they provide attractive and ecologically sound alternatives to fishing or diving on natural reefs. A recent study by NOAA also confirms 197 different species of fish thriving in the USS Spiegel Grove which was sunk just over 5 years ago. The ship also reflects why historical and unique underwater sites are attractive to divers and snorkelers to explore. The USS Oriskany, which is the world's largest artificial reef located off the coast of Pensacola, Florida, is so popular amongst the diving community that some local dive operations have up to a three month waiting list for divers to get on a boat to access this new edition to Florida's artificial reefs. In May of 2006 the Pensacola Convention and Visitors Bureau (PCVB) invested $1 million dollars in bringing the decommissioned aircraft carrier to the Pensacola Florida area for sinking as an artificial reef. PCVB estimated that their entire investment was returned to the surrounding community during the three days after the carrier was sunk.
DEMA, the Diving Equipment & Marketing Association, is an international organization dedicated to the promotion and growth of the recreational scuba diving and snorkeling industry. With more than 1,600 members, this non-profit, global organization promotes scuba diving through many initiatives including consumer awareness programs, media campaigns and sponsorship of DEMA Show, a trade event open only to companies doing business in the scuba diving, action water sports and adventure/dive travel industries. DEMA Show 2009 will take place November 4-7, 2009 in Orlando, FL. For more information on DEMA Show 2009, visit www.demashow.com. For more information on DEMA, call 858-616-6408 or visit www.dema.org. For more information on the Be A Diver campaign, visit www.beadiver.com.

That is exciting! The article mentions "early 2009" for the sinking... has anyone heard more specific dates?

Let me go ahead and reserve my spot on a Key West dive boat now!

There is a member of the board, AmericanReefer, (He also sinks ships for a living) who was onboard her not long ago while the ship was under arrest,that thinks that there is more than 2 months of work left on her. However all of the other time frames I have heard have mentioned are either in Jan or Feb.

Here's a little more info from the Key Largo Chamber of Commerce. I think all anybody can do is speculate on the actual sink date. I wouldn't make any reservations yet until the salvage team sets a sinking date.
My first guess is that they will sell medallions similar to the Spiegel Grove medallions at $10 each to finance the sinking. The sale of the Spiegel medallions has paid every monthly payment to the Spiegel Grove loan.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Member News[/FONT]

VANDENBERG: Chamber member First State Bank purchased the U.S.S. Hoyt Vandenberg to be sunk as an artificial reef off Key West.
First State Bank paid $1.35M at a federal auction in Virginia Wednesday. The bank will give back the ship's title to the city of Key West.
The ship could be sunk as soon as late February.
First State also was one of the banks that helped finance the sinking of the Spiegel Grove. TIB and Community Bank were part of the triumvirate that put our ship on the bottom.

I agree 100% with speculation on the actual sink date. There has been too many on this dates in the past. Either way I think it will be dive worth waiting for.

What information does anyone have on where they are planning to put her down (besides to just say "off Key West")?

What will the average visibility be like?

How much of the ship will remain above recreational depths?

How long will it take the KL dive boats to get from the dock to wherever they are planning to sink her?

What information does anyone have on where they are planning to put her down (besides to just say "off Key West")?

What will the average visibility be like?

How much of the ship will remain above recreational depths?

How long will it take the KL dive boats to get from the dock to wherever they are planning to sink her?

Average vis should be pretty good. Much like the wrecks off KL. Most of the ship will be above rec limits from what I have seen.

I am assuming you mean the Key West boats. Its supposed to be only about 6 miles offshore. Ill have to look for the page I saw it on and ill get it up on the board.

Pretty gutsy move for a bank in today's economy. I hope it works out for them.

Anyone know the costs for any remaining clean-up, towing the ship to KW, and the actual sinking? Is this money in the bank or will it have to be raised?

I look forward to diving it. I am sure it will be awesome.

All of the monies are available either from bank loans or grants. The last that was advertised was about 2.6 million dollars for all of the work plus the tow. However that changed when the ship went to auction and was bought by the bank so Iam thinking the new total is about 2.35 million dollars. And all of that money is in the bank or already paid.(IE ths shipyard bill)

Found the info I was looking for. The short vesion is that she will be about 6 miles off of Key West, near Hawks Channel Marker 32.This is from the big shipwrecks site:

The future site for the Vandenberg is about 6 miles south of Key West, near Hawk's Channel marker #32, and between Western Sambo and Sand Key. The keel will lie at 140 feet; tops of the superstructure and antennas will be at 40 feet.

And this is the same site about diving her:

This ship will be the most spectacular artificial reef ever prepared especially for diving. There will be plenty of very divable structure at depths of 40 to 140 feet. Shallow structures include the 30 by 10 foot crows nest, perfect for beginning dive classes, the great 40 foot dish antennas, and the tops of the bridge and communications center.
The 25 foot tall rudder and prop will be a fantastic deep dive at 140 feet. The four open decks at approximately 70-100 feet will be penetrated horizontally with 8 by 10 foot openings on each side, and vertical elevator shafts, cargo holds and stair towers. The vast structure will teem with marine life, inside and out.

The site also has some pretty good drawings for the ship.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom