EON Steel firmware update suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally... But...80€...
Information you need to know before sending your dive computer:

• This upgrade (the Bühlmann dive algorithm) is available only for EON Steel dive computers.
• You cannot upgrade the dive computer yourself. Only our authorized service centers and technicians can perform the upgrade.
• In case you do not have a way to send your dive computer to us, please get in contact with our support.
• The upgrade costs 80€ for any device bought two or more years ago.
• The upgrade will be done only after your device has gone through a maintenance check (in the service center, done by our technicians) to assess your device's functionality. You will receive all the information in the Service letter sent to you after the inspection.

If it is true that you have to send it in to get the upgrade and it is only for the steel version, then I would assume the core version firmware is probably the same and it is the company’s way of just keeping the upgrade on the steel.

I have the core and the Perdix. I find as an advanced open water non tech diver that the Perdix better suits my needs. The only complaint I have for the core is that the navigation through the menus compared to the Perdix is a tad more difficult.

Both work well and I am glad to own both. Since I own both, when my wife and I dive she gets the core and I dive the Perdix.

I have found that both computers are pretty much spot on with each other with the exception that the core is more conservative when ascending. It’s no problem just need to read and heed to keep from getting a too steep ascent alarm.

Anyway the core is a great computer overall I am just partial to the Perdix. Not a fanboy but after owning and using both it is what it is.

Glenn

I updated to the latest software version before I read that the Bulman algorithm cannot be activated by itself.
There are interesting comment in the release note. “EON Steel Black” At least I don’t know any "Black" version.

Suunto DM5 1.5.0 (18/01/2020)
- Support for EON Steel Black
- Support for Buhlmann algorithm

I've updated my Eon Steel to Fused 2 and contacted my nearest service centre about the Buhlmann update. Waiting for an answer and if they can do it ( its a freebie since not 2 years old). Will update when I get an answer.

Mine is already in Finland, waiting for an upgrade :)
I'll let you know how much time it takes, once I get it back.

Hope mine does not have to go to Finland as postal service is screwed up badly. Took 2 months to get delivery of new regs from Germany and now weather is crap and can't go diving to play with them:(.

Suunto organizes the shipping with DHL.
It took only one day to reach Finland from Bulgaria, so it could be maximum two days from Cyprus.

I did a small and likely unscientific test today. I have two eon steels. One I upgraded to the new software and one I didn’t.

My first dive in 7 days today - I wore both computers and compared them throughout the dive. Dive was 50 minutes long with max depth of 106 ffw. The one that was upgraded got as low as 5 minutes no deco time shortly after the max depth and stayed there until I got to roughly 75’. The one I had not upgraded never got lower than 9 minutes no deco time remaining. As I ascended, they gradually came back to the same no deco time as one would expect. All settings were the same between both computers.

Seems like this could be interpreted as the latest update being a little more conservative than previous. Which is ok with me, I already run at the first conservatism setting.

OK, so my Eon Steel finally arrived. A short overview of the process for everyone willing to try:
- I placed an online upgrade order at suunto.com on 24th of January (Sunday)
- On the next day a DHL courier picked-up my device and delivered it in Finland on Tuesday
- On 1st of February I received a notification that my device has been checked and found eligible for an upgrade after the payment of the 80 EUR fee, which I immediately did. The fee is payable through PayPal.
- On 3rd of February I received an e-mail that the device has been upgraded and sent back to me.
- One day later and 11 days after I placed the order, I received my device back.

The upgrade procedure includes not only the new software, but also a maintenance service including the replacement of the buttons, new o-rings, sealings and gaskets, a new display shield, a functional test and a 3 months service warranty.

Back
Top Bottom