EON Steel firmware update suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XS-NRG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Would this be an acceptable place to give some suggestions for future firmware releases for the EON Steel or is there somewhere I can email direct?

Would this be an acceptable place to give some suggestions for future firmware releases for the EON Steel or is there somewhere I can email direct?

You will find lots of suggestions if you scroll through the "The Wait is over: Eon Steel is here" thread, both fulfilled and unfulfilled. But that thread is huge now so it probably is time to start a specific suggestion thread. So here is a list of some of my suggestions as well as some other folks suggestions that I would also like to see in the future:

1. Nicknames for tank pods. Even if I have to use DM5 to get them, this would be worth it. (typing in the EON menu seems like it would be hard)
2. Treating two tank pods as independent doubles. If the EON could switch automatically to the tank that is dropping pressure after, lets say, 2 minutes of no drop on the current tank that would be awesome.
3. Treating two tanks as independent doubles. If two thanks are of the same gas it would be great if I had a way to tell the EON to treat them as one when it comes to gas time.
4. Sidemount gas alarm. If the EON could be set to remind me every 500 to 1000 PSI to switch gases (and tanks) that would be nice.
5. DM5 needs more Tec info. I would like a display of OTUs and CNS in the dive plan.
6. DM5 will not upload two tanks of the same gas even if I select two pods. Fix this please
7. DM5 I would like to see my average SAC and see a display of it that I can trace as it changes throughout the dive.
8. DM5 treating two tanks as independent doubles. If two thanks are of the same gas it would be great if I had a way to tell DM5 to treat them as one when it comes to gas pressure on the planner

My suggestions are as follows:

1- A way to show two gas mixes on screen for side mount divers or back mount with a pony bottle like I use.
2- Show the MOD on screen as an option/customization
3- fill all the empty spaces (eg. in top left corner) with stuff like CNS or OTU vs the limited options for time etc. Bottom line, let us put more stuff on screen and open up DM5 to allow putting anything anywhere
4- An MOD variance alarm. If your MOD was 100 feet allow the diver to set 5, 10, 15 feet away from The MOD for the alarm (would need a metric version of this too)
5- Expand the menu options during dive to do things such as adjust brightness mid dive and clear compass bearing etc. Compass history would be nice if you change the bearing points lots during complicated underwater nav so you can return following the reverse course. Also add an actual mark for reciprocal heading. I realize it states how far off course you are so going to 180 offset works
6- Auto dim the brightness when the battery is running low to conserve life for when we may not be able to readily charge or more importantly if the computer battery is dieing and needing replacement because it runs low much faster. Having the expanded menu to dim brightness would also aid in this.
7- Better naming convention for tank pods
8- Allow us to enter our name into the actual computer so when it's turned on you can see who the computer belongs to and ensure you're using the correct one. May sound ridiculous until you get a bunch of people using the same computer and they get mixed up during repetitive multi dives over multiple days. Rinse bins can get chaotic and things get shuffled very easily.

those are my main suggestions. I'm sure I'll have more as time goes by. Looking forward to using this on my trip in 2 weeks versus just pool time :)

Thanks for your consideration!

Excellent idea....

Mine are as follows:

Alarms - allow me to select which I want rather than all on or off.

Tones - Different tone set options. I often dive with 3 others who have Eon's you hear their warnings and look at your wrist.

Water sensor Grrr!! please allow us to turn it off. Twice now my comp has stayed on all night. I wash with fresh water post dive and gently blow to dry - if I don't the comp stays on. I would prefer a button press to turn on and the pressure sensor to turn off.

Maybe a button press from surface screen to turn machine off?

Start up screen (when out of sleep mode) with users name, or imported image etc to identify comp currently I have a bit of white tape on the rear to identify mine

As per Chicken Scuba. Pod nicknames Pod management. I have painted the last 4 digits of the serial number on each on to help identification and to ensure we set the correct gas to the correct TX. Its a pain. A user Nickname for each pod would be great.

As above computer taking into account all gas used and treat it as 1 tank for SAC calcs etc

Allow me to stop the computer telling me to swap to a better gas. I know what I have and know how I want to use it.

Still on Pod batteries. to see the battery level of each pod is a faff - if its paired it just says OK so you have to go deeper into the menu. A surface screen would be nice (or 1st level menu screen) where each paired pod was shown with its assigned gas, pressure and battery status just one place to look.

Gas screen showing levels of all gasses connected. (I'd put that as a second level screen from the main gas screen to save scrolling through.

Allow dive time to be displayed rather than having to select it from bottom RH side list.

Allow brightness to be changed underwater. Might want bright screen on surface or safety stop but less bright underwater.

Oh one more.

This weekend carried out safety stop in a screaming current, anchored onto a ridge. Post SS at 4m only one thing was going to happen and that was we were going up (despite having dumped all our buoyancy) Sure enough we were pushed to the surface quicker than we would have liked. both of comps showed a Red mandatory stop (17 seconds) There was no way is was safe to descend (in a surface flow) the only option to shut the machines up was to clip them to a reel and lower then to 3m and haul them up again.

I don';t mind being penalised on the next dive etc but you cant have the computer chiming incessantly urging you to do something that's unsafe. The computer doesn't know why this has happened so let us silence /stop this alarm.

Suunto divers feeling ostracized on the tech boat, because their algorithm is incompatible with every other dedicated tech computer on the market that can run open-source software and planning is done on equally dedicated tech software... so the Eon-Steel wearer uses gauge mode...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom