Eon core versus sheerwater perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not true. The EON can connect to multiple tanks.

While the Eon can have upto 10 transmitters linked at once it cannot display 2 gas contents simultaneously which you would like for sidemount, where as the Perdix (and Ratio) can

Which is the point he was trying (I believe) to make

And I agree it's a significant function that Suunto really need to implement

algorithm used in suunto is very conservative

Totally incorrect. At it's most aggressive setting (P-2) the Suunto is almost exactly the same as Buhlmann (which the Shearwater uses) at 45/95 (again the most aggressive

While mid dive they might show quite different NDL (both + 60 mins) They both hit deco as the same time, and both give exactly the same deco times (caveat - baby deco dives less than 50m less than 15 min deco)

There is no difference between the 2 on repetitive dives either. My longest repetitive dive sequence was 48 dives over 12 days, including some deco dives, and there was no real meaningful difference between the times shown on both computers on each dive (I think the Shearwater once gave me 90 seconds more deco. so no difference

When coming shallower Buhlmann starts significantly crediting you back NDL at 19m where as the Suunto at 14m.

so no expensive battery change fee every 5 years

Both my Eons are one of the first (just over 5 years) both have + 700 dives, They've only lost 15% of their battery capacity. So this isn't an issue

I run a Perdix AI and Eons. They're both good computers, a lot of the differences come down to personal preferences - I happen to dislike compasses on computers, I dislike the Eon compass slightly more than the Perdix

I'm on record for not loving my Perdix, It's a fine computer, but I'd probably buy another Eon rather than another Shearwater if I were in the market at the moment. Actually I'd probably buy an OSTC 4 rather than a Shearwater - but since they're not available to the US it's a moot point for this discussion

But both are fine computers. The price difference differs between regions

Not true. The EON can connect to multiple tanks.

From the user manual:
“3.32. Tank pressure
Your Suunto EON Steel can be used with multiple Suunto Tank PODs for wireless tank
pressure transmission
.”

It’s not limited to 2.

I said "using multi tank AI, you can only stay connected to one tank at a time".

They let you store multiple tanks like 8 - 12 or something. But this is how it works. Manually disconnect from current tank and connect to new tank. Then you can read the pressure. It's a pain in the ass.

Totally incorrect. At it's most aggressive setting (P-2) the Suunto is almost exactly the same as Buhlmann (which the Shearwater uses) at 45/95 (again the most aggressive

While mid dive they might show quite different NDL (both + 60 mins) They both hit deco as the same time, and both give exactly the same deco times (caveat - baby deco dives less than 50m less than 15 min deco)

There is no difference between the 2 on repetitive dives either. My longest repetitive dive sequence was 48 dives over 12 days, including some deco dives, and there was no real meaningful difference between the times shown on both computers on each dive (I think the Shearwater once gave me 90 seconds more deco. so no difference

When coming shallower Buhlmann starts significantly crediting you back NDL at 19m where as the Suunto at 14m.

Hmmm I stand corrected, you are correct. I never touch those settings cause I don't know exactly how that changes their proprietary calculations. If they clearly provided the changes or calculations I'd be more willing to play with it. So I guess it's my own personal preference and conservatism.

Both my Eons are one of the first (just over 5 years) both have + 700 dives, They've only lost 15% of their battery capacity. So this isn't an issue

That's fair, even if you lost 50% of total battery capacity, it is more then adequate for a full amount of diving each day. In that case, you could probably use it without a battery change well over 20 years. I just prefer the perdix ability to swap batteries, because I've forgot to charge it a few times. No worries though, I have no issues diving without a computer for recreational dives. The con is though, it does make the perdix significantly thicker then the suunto.

I'm very happy we both enjoy using our suunto eon core xD
Cheers mate

Hmmm I stand corrected, you are correct. I never touch those settings cause I don't know exactly how that changes their proprietary calculations. If they clearly provided the changes or calculations I'd be more willing to play with it. So I guess it's my own personal preference and conservatism.

You can try out the different level of conservatism in DM5 by planning a typical dive and seeing what the deco looks like. Compare that with multideco or whatever for the Perdix etc. Use realistic gas choices though.

Noticed the Suunto Eon Steel is 50% off on the Suunto Web site. A sign it is going to be discontinued and/or replaced with a new model?

Noticed the Suunto Eon Steel is 50% off on the Suunto Web site. A sign it is going to be discontinued and/or replaced with a new model?
No close out on Leisure Pro, $1790 for computer and transmitter. I wonder what happened to the Buhlmann upgrade? Perhaps @Diving Dubai knows

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom