Eon core versus sheerwater perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi
I am in the market for a new dive computer and have whittled in down to these two.

My eyes are getting tired theses days lol and need a computer that has a large display and is easy to read in murky waters.

Has anyone compared these 2 computers for readability in poor visibility ?

I have also had a quick look around the forum and would appreciate some advice on which is the better computer overall and would be grateful if you could state why you feel one is better than the other:)

I am not worried about the difference in cost as I will use the new computer for a few years.

You don't say what kind of diving you do or what decompression algorithm(s) your buddies use

The Perdix runs standard Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors. The Core runs Suunto Fused RGBM

The Perdix is easy for me to read in all conditions and you can also change the colors to suit your personal choice.

I dive the Perdix, I don't like air integration. It is very nice to read in all levels of light, darkness, and clarity. I do prefer the way it links to your computer or phone (Bluetooth) and the battery is a standard AA. The Suunto has a proprietary cable that must be used for both charging and data transfer (I may be mistaken, but that was my understanding the last time I messed with one) and the cable is expensive to replace, the port becomes loose (after MUCH use) and the battery life wanes after a while and must be returned to Suunto to replace. Both are good computers though, I know people that absolutely love their Eon Core.

I've got a Eon Core, main reasons I got it were the screen (I'm super short sighted so I need something big enough to read if I lose my lenses), the price (£500 with a free pod when I traded in an old computer vs. £700+ for a Perdix), and that a lot of the people I dive with use Suuntos so I don't see the algorithm complaints that a lot of people seem to have.

The viewing angles are pretty good, I'd say about a 140 degree cone, and the brightness is pretty decent I had no issues in Australia, and I've had no issues at the bottom of Coniston Water or in the rubbish viz of Eccleston Delph. I have had a look at a Perdix that a buddy had and I think that the actual screen quality might be slightly better on the Perdix, but not by much.

I would say that the Suunto had a nicer interface and was much much easier to navigate. On the subject of navigation I think the Suunto is really nice, the buttons are easy and positive even in 7mm lobster mits, the interface is an up/down selection and then a short press to confirm and a long press to go back.

On the algorithm front I have not had any issues with people on other computers. When I did depth progression in Coniston my instructor had a Ratio computer, on dive 3 he went into deco first and dropped out later than me on default conservatism. However when the safety stop that the Suunto goes into after deco finished we were at the same point.

Charging and Data Transfer is via a magnetic USB cable, it snaps onto the back of the unit, and it will charge from 12V/USB, Battery Banks, Laptops, etc.

I suspect that in the end the choice for most people will come down to:
1) what do you want to spend, do you want AI?
2) where do you think you'll get to? will the core's 75m max depth work?
3) what do your buddies dive, will you match them?

I dive the Perdix, I don't like air integration. It is very nice to read in all levels of light, darkness, and clarity. I do prefer the way it links to your computer or phone (Bluetooth) and the battery is a standard AA. The Suunto has a proprietary cable that must be used for both charging and data transfer (I may be mistaken, but that was my understanding the last time I messed with one) and the cable is expensive to replace, the port becomes loose (after MUCH use) and the battery life wanes after a while and must be returned to Suunto to replace. Both are good computers though, I know people that absolutely love their Eon Core.

I do all my data transfer from my eon core to my phone via Bluetooth. Cable isn't required for that.

It is for charging, however.

I have no problems seeing my Perdix. Love that it takes such a common battery. Shearwater customer service is second to none.

If you love Suuntos and aren't going tech, get the Core. If you're even thinking about going tech, get the Perdix.

Hi :)

Thank you for the info and views :)
I think i might go for the Perdix Ai as it looks like it might be the better option in the long run.

There is a dive show starting in the UK soon so i might wait till then ( might get a bargain on the day ) :)

@Firebar have you been to Stoney Cove ? as that will probably be where i will be diving initially and the visibility varies quite a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom