Entry Level Bay Diving - NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

I am coming up on my certification dives and Dutch springs in a week. I have been collecting my gear for the past month or so and have most of my stuff. After certification I would like to try some NJ diving in salt water. I know that all the charters are deep water AOW stuff, so I am looking for some easy, not so deep areas to try out.

Are there any area in barnegat bay that are worth diving? I saw some awesome spear fishing videos on YouTube that looked like some neat areas. Shallow, but cool. I'm not ready for spear fishing, but maybe a couple shallow dives.

Thanks,
BC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only dive I know that's not offshore of Barnegat is the inlet dive, which is considered a little more advanced than entry level OW. I know there's a shore dive of a wreck that comes and goes (sand exposure and coverage) up near Lavallette. And a wreck shore dive down near Beach Haven as well. I talked to a guy that dove on the Barge that's bayside down near Harris Harbour and said that's a good entry level dive. I'd imagine the clarity on it blows based on location in the summer.

Thanks gemiller. I looked up that slabtown area you mentioned in the other post. I didn't realize how far into PA that was!

I was looking through the NJ Scuba regulations, and all the particular rules about the Barnegat inlet during summer. Also, I noticed, as gemiller stated, that it is a tough(er) dive for a new guy.

I've done a bunch of searches on here and found many people refering to the "back bay" and "L street beach" as access points for areas that are not controlled by the inlet regulations and are also a bit "easier."

When referring to Barneget "back bay," are we talking about just the large bay area, or something more particular? Also, where about is "L Street." I will be down the shore next week with the family for a few days and wanted to go lay eyes on the places that people are referring to. I'm going to head over to the inlet to have a peek, and also to try to find "L Street."

Thanks again,
BC

As Basking Ridge Diver pointed out, L street in Belmar is the back bay area referred to. It's not connected to Barnegat Bay, and is more than 30 miles north of Barnegat Inlet.

The RR brige is in Point Pleasant, just a few hundred feet from the bottom of the Rt 35 bridge that crosses the Manasquan River. It's part of a tiny park and is an easier dive because there are almost no boats to worry about, but the currents can be fierce except for the period around peak high tide. The high tide there is about 30 to 40 minutes later than the times posted for the Manasquan Inlet, just a mile away.

Barnegat inlet is very difficult. Currents, shifting sand, visibility problems, lots of massive boats, and many fisherman. I sometimes dive just inside the inlet, but this is not strictly legal. The owners of a commercial operation there sometimes let me dive under their docks near dusk when all rental boats are in. These are people I've known for many years, have dived with, and have worked with from time to time. I've seen amazing things under those docks, including small sea turtles and an amazing array of tropicals.

I recommend Point Pleasant's RR Bridge. Some nice people dive there, and lots to see. Watch out for the 100 lb test fishing lines that are everywhere. Carry two good cutting instruments that are secure and that you can reach easily.

Hello All,

I am coming up on my certification dives and Dutch springs in a week. I have been collecting my gear for the past month or so and have most of my stuff. After certification I would like to try some NJ diving in salt water. I know that all the charters are deep water AOW stuff, so I am looking for some easy, not so deep areas to try out.

Are there any area in barnegat bay that are worth diving? I saw some awesome spear fishing videos on YouTube that looked like some neat areas. Shallow, but cool. I'm not ready for spear fishing, but maybe a couple shallow dives.

Thanks,
BC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are good shallow dives along the NY/NJ corridor:

http://www.aquaexplorers.com/shipwrecks_NY_NJ.htm

Good diving!

Dan-O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

What a breath of fresh New Jersey Ocean air!

Evie once told me that grudges die hard on the Atlantic, truer words were never spoken. PLEASE tell me that the njscuba.net brass and SB have uncrossed their swords. I'd really like to see some new faces...

*INCOMING!!!!!*

Bring it on.

Thank you very much for the information. I will check out both. I took a look at some Google Maps and I now see the Shark River areas and back bay that everyone here discusses. After I get a bit more equipment and finish my certification dives, I'll post up and see if there is anyone that might be interested in a few easy dives towards the end of July/beginning of August.

Thanks again!

BC214 - where are you in NJ? Why do you want to limit yourself to shore diving NJ? There are plenty of opportunities for OW divers offshore, not all charters are AOW, deep and technical. Several shops I know specialize in taking first timers out, stick to easier sites, ensuring you have all the proper gear and a positive first experience. They'll hook you up with a seasoned DM (or better) as a buddy.

Good luck with the check out dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom