Entry/exit procedures for Monastery Beach with a camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may want to consider using a kayak. They are easy to customize and accommodate all sorts of gear needs to protect your camera during entry/exit. Plus you can access different areas further out toward mono lobo or Carmel river with much greater ease. I use an ocean kayak scrambler 11. Well worth rinsing a bit more gear:)

I have some experience kayak diving in monterey. Rob, where would one enter safely in Monastery?
South end?

either end or move over to carmel river state beach. if you have a kayak, stillwater becomes a better option too.

MonasteryBeach3_zps80bb520e.jpg

On days like this, anywhere is good. The surf can come up any time so the south end has a bit more protection.

As Runsongas and Max state, the south is a good option. I've entered both areas, but I like the south entrance best. Indeed, when its a lake, pretty much anywhere will work. But, if there is a swell, don't enter/exit in the middle. The probability of getting your a$$ handed to you goes way up. Approach Monastery with much respect. If you feel it may not be a good day to try it, it isn't.

Yes, on rougher days, it's best to hand your camera to your buddy waiting beyond the break zone and after you get out, take off your gear and swim out the bring your camera back in. It's amazing how much easier it is to maneuver with out gear.

That sign we designed years ago after a series of drownings at Monastery, it was quite a group effort in both sign and video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom