Entry/exit procedures for Monastery Beach with a camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kamaros

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've seen a lot of amazing photos and videos that have been shot at Monastery Beach, but every time I'm doing the Monastery Crawl out of the water and trapping pebbles in every conceivable opening, I ponder how anyone manages to take anything larger than a GoPro with them. Can anyone share their techniques for getting in/out of the water with a camera rig?

Not trying to be snarky but have you tried getting out without doing the crawl? That shouldn't be your default option for exit at Monastery. Figure that out first before you take a camera rig in with you.

EDIT: I'm far from an expert on Monastery and have only dived there maybe 5-6 times. I've never done the crawl out - even the one time I did it with doubles (that I would not do again, for sure)

I haven't dove in Cali yet, but will in the very near future after I move there from Okinawa. I did however have a rough exit here on a dive where I was exiting in about knee to mid-thigh deep water. The catch with this one was the site had a very strong tidal pull, and I ended up falling ( on hands and knees) about 15 times during one exit. Could tidal pull have been an issue?

hand it to your buddy. if conditions are sufficiently calm, it is possible to walk out if your rig is not overly large. if you have a large mirrorless or dslr setup, you pretty much will need a buddy.

I haven't dove in Cali yet, but will in the very near future after I move there from Okinawa. I did however have a rough exit here on a dive where I was exiting in about knee to mid-thigh deep water. The catch with this one was the site had a very strong tidal pull, and I ended up falling ( on hands and knees) about 15 times during one exit. Could tidal pull have been an issue?

It's not tidal pull, it's geography. The Carmel Canyon actually touches land at Monastery. A short swim from shore and you are in 200 feet of water. This makes not just the beach very steep but the entry/exit as well. The waves break down and create this backwash that will pull you under. These signs are posted all over the beach.

It's not tidal pull, it's geography. The Carmel Canyon actually touches land at Monastery. A short swim from shore and you are in 200 feet of water. This makes not just the beach very steep but the entry/exit as well. The waves break down and create this backwash that will pull you under. These signs are posted all over the beach.

In addition to all this, the beach is formed of small pebbles instead of true sand, which causes your feet to sink a few inches with every step, making it hard for your feet to find enough purchase to walk out.

In addition to all this, the beach is formed of small pebbles instead of true sand, which causes your feet to sink a few inches with every step, making it hard for your feet to find enough purchase to walk out.

Yes, the annoying Monastery Berries! They get into everything and you will still find some in your gear or bag or box years later.

I would leave the camera in the car until you are comfortable there...conditions can change fast.
( for the first time I would go to the south end)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom