Entering the world of diving for a living.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott T C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
After reading post after post....after post, about members complaining left and right about all the negative issues they can possibly dredge up from the deepest parts of their minds about the diving industry...I had to make this thread.

---

Look y'all; the comment has been stated before: the world is what you make of it.

If you say the industry is dead and there are no jobs...and it isn't worth going to schools to become an Instructor or a Commercial Diver, because you will never make enough to live off of...then those are the people that were the quitters in the group and should be ignored.

The diving industry is no different then any other industry or segment out there. The more drive, training, desire and skill you have...the more you will make. Competition is tough as it should be...it weeds out the inferior divers in this industry (same as any other industry).

Remember (those of you negative Nancy’s out there)...we all aren't looking to make $500,000 per year diving. It would be great...but we (most of us) are realistic. I know plenty of divers that make over $100,000 per year and plenty that make $40+k per year. BOTH...are happy....BOTH are satisfied. It's all what you want out of your chosen path.

I am entering the world of Commercial Diving with one thing in mind...I will be more than happy to make $40k per year...HOWEVER...I know I could easily double that with good effort, triple it with strong desire and commitment, quadruple it with the utmost determination...and so on. It is all what you put in....is what you get out of it.

Here is something to think about. My uncle was a plumber; he worked hard...made good money for his trade in a dirty job. Where he shined above 99% of the plumbing field out there is he LIVED WITHIN HIS MEANS....he saved/banked his money. Spent it wisely...looked at life as do I really need the latest and greatest or can I do with the normal. To make it short...he is a millionaire now, paid for all his kids to go to college, helped them buy their homes, etc.

So moral of this....DO NOT LISTEN to the "negative Nancy’s" here or anywhere else! Do what makes you happy and if you get good at it...the money will follow to those who want it!

In diving...as a career...it is up to YOU.

You can make $20,000 or less per year....OR....you can make over $200,000 per year. Its all what you want out of the world, and your life. Do what makes you happy...and everything else is a perk! That's how I see my new chosen career path! I am divig for a living, doing something I LOVE and can't get enough of...the money is the perk! :D

...oh...and PS to those that say you can't have a life as a diver or a commercial diver...Y'all are full of it! I am happily married with two wonderful kids, my wife knows this is what I want to do with the rest of my life. She understands for me to make a lot of money in this field it will require sacrifices of me not being around a lot. That's where your support structure comes into play...family & friends. So, yes I will work my ass off to make the most money I can while my body can handel it, then I will turn back the dial to cruise and live a comfortable life well within my means all while making sure my two kids will be WELL ESTABLISHED financially, by the time they are adults ready to take on their own lives. ---YES...YOU CAN HAVE A FAMILY...ITS UP TO YOU!

My parents forged together their brains when I was a child and turned diving into a 250,000$ a year biz. Its all what you make of it put in and out and creativity.

That's awesome to hear!

I got a buddy that use to be a programer for the Intuit Quickbooks software. Moved out to the east coast, started cleaning boat hauls and now makes a seriously good income! He has ZERO debt, close to $200k in liquid cash asets at any given time, tons of dive gear, his own salvage boat, etc.

You can go from zero to HERO easily.

You can become "rich" by making more or desiring less.

Thoreau said a person is rich based upon what they can do without. I can do without many things, but I cannot do without diving, or writing about diving. Help me become a full time dive professional and personality by buying our book, "The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette!" (Available on amazon or barnesandnoble.com, or ask for it at your dive shop or bookstore.) I work as a lawyer and professor to have the money to dive and hang out on sites like this, and write, and teach diving. I am inspired by this thread to do more of what I love! But I still want you to buy the book- good laughs, good tips, seriously funny, and mostly true!
DivemasterDennis

Good for you! Stay positive and save your post somewhere where you can read it and be reminded of how you felt when you wrote it. Just in case things get tough and they sometimes do along the path of success.

That said, there is a BIG difference between trying to do commercial diving as a career and being a dive master or instructor somewhere. My guess is that some of those negative threads had more to do with recreational diving careers than with commercial diving careers. Everybody needs a plumber. Even a bad one is better than nobody. Very few people need a dive master.

40,000 per year as a commercial diver ?????!!!!!
Unless things have gone terribly wrong since I retired, you should make a LOT more than that.

Good words...makes me hope that there is a second career out there for me someday! Now back to my first one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom