English language under threat, Wreck Ferrets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But we have the same type of word differences within our own borders.
An example is: Coke, Pop and Soda. They all mean a carbonated soft drink.

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
soda & pop are generics

In the SouthEast US, Coke is also a generic. If someone asks you if "You want a Coke?", the next question is "What kind?".

Here it doesn't matter if it's Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, RC, Mountain Dew, ect. They are all referred to as "Coke".

Jarhead

that is a little like us over here.

People often call their vacuum cleaner a Hoover, when in fact it may be a Dyson.

And sellotape is a brand of sticky tape, but everyone calls sticky tape sellotape.

Coke should sue!!!! :)

Coke should sue!!!! :)

Sue who? It dates back to when Coke was the only Coke. It's part of the regional dialect (so to speak). And a free advertisement each time it's mentioned.

Some type of thing with Kleenex.

Jarhead

You!!! :)

But seriously, if I am not mistaken, Coke was not the first Coke, Coke is a cola drink, like Pepsi Cola. Coke is a registered trade mark, is it not?

And as for root beer. What the hell kind of root is it made from?

A more foul tasting drink I have yet to try. Oh, except for Budweiser, that is!

Which reminds me of an amusing joke about what is the similarity between making love in a canoe and American beer?

The answer has rude word in so I won't post it....

You!!! :)

But seriously, if I am not mistaken, Coke was not the first Coke, Coke is a cola drink, like Pepsi Cola. Coke is a registered trade mark, is it not?

And as for root beer. What the hell kind of root is it made from?

A more foul tasting drink I have yet to try. Oh, except for Budweiser, that is!

Which reminds me of an amusing joke about what is the similarity between making love in a canoe and American beer?

The answer has rude word in so I won't post it....

Actually, I believe Coke was the first cola patented. It was developed just a couple of blocks from my office, but patented in Atlanta.

And Root Beer is made from the Sassafras root.

PM me with the Canoe/Beer joke.

I wonder who it was who was wandering along one day and saw the sassafras plant and said "I know, let's boil this plant's root and make a drink called root beer" It's foul.

canoe/beer joke duely pm-ed

Jim

Made me laugh! Thanks guys!!

Strange how some of our sceptic friends take things so seriously....

On the way back through Heathrow on Saturday I picked up two new dictionaries:
English to American
English to Cockney

resisted the temptation and left the Scottish and Australian versions on the shelf!

Rick must have some really old English friends to come up with that quote - the original person who said that is well dead! (eek used American!!!)

Jonathan

Jonathan once bubbled...
Made me laugh! Thanks guys!!

Strange how some of our sceptic friends take things so seriously....

Funny you should say that, That was the idea...........

The Dive/Dove poll was a just dig at Seppos (septic Tanks).

A simple question, "what do YOU say",
not where did it come from, who was right, who invented the bloody wheel etc etc

And take a look at the responses!!!!!, If I posted the same question on a OZ, Kiwi or Pommy site, the reponses would have been, Who Bloody cares??????

LOL, Good for a cak anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom