English language under threat, Wreck Ferrets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you take the English language. Remove all the words that have a Germanic origin. Then remove all the words that have a Latin origin. What's left?

Jarhead

Here are some examples:

"Ugh" Meaning "Give me that woolly mammoth leg. I'm hungry"

"Rargh" Meaning "I'm bored, let's attack the next cave"

"Blaaaaaaaaaaaaagh" Meaning "I haven't washed for 25 years and I am going to kiss you"

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
... Diving Gal, being from Canadia you should be sticking up for us, not siding with them! :wink:

Wasn't really sticking up for anyone. Just stating the obvious from my dictionary.. both are correct depending on where you are from.

It's much the same for other things in the world. What we call things doesn't really matter as long as both the sender and the receiver of the message understand the intent of the message, and the message is correct from the sender's point of view.

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
Here are some examples:

"Ugh" Meaning "Give me that woolly mammoth leg. I'm hungry"

"Rargh" Meaning "I'm bored, let's attack the next cave"

"Blaaaaaaaaaaaaagh" Meaning "I haven't washed for 25 years and I am going to kiss you"

I was thinking more along the lines of Gaelic and Celtic, then then those you posted maybe Gaelic or Celtic.

as long as both the sender and the receiver of the message understand the intent of the message

True, but there are words used on both sides of the pond that have completely different meanings.

To me a faggot will always be a bundle of sticks....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom