English language under threat, Wreck Ferrets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Jim

Contributor
Reaction score
Quick guys, there is a thread at the Basic Scuba Discussions section about whether the word is dived or dove, and a poll to go with it. I have voted already and can't again, but the dove people are winning and we can't have the English language destroyed anymore.

Please go to the thread and vote for "dived"!

Jim

Thanks for the tip off Jim.

I've been and voted Whatever next!!

Do you think that something was lost from our beautiful language on the voyage over to our colony in the New World?

"dove" is an excepted past tense version of "dive" --- for the USA that is, for those of us that base our English on the British we're supposed to be using "dived".

Dove is only about 100 years old, it is acceptable, but I cringe when I hear it. Bottom line I dived 5 times this past weekend which is important to me. Dived vs dove is not important, although I'll continue to use dived.

Aluminum
Faggot
Fanny

All these important words they have got muddled up.

As for "closure". Yeeeeeeeeech.

Diving Gal, being from Canadia you should be sticking up for us, not siding with them! :wink:

DivingGal once bubbled...
"dove" is an excepted past tense version of "dive" --- for the USA that is, for those of us that base our English on the British we're supposed to be using "dived".
Well now, if it's excepted then Scuba Jim will be happy, but if it's accepted then its use will wrankle...
so... which is it?
Rick

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
Glad to hear someone across the pond is still speaking proper, like.
properly... you meant properly.
I just know you did...
without the "like."
Rick

Yes, I did mean properly. And without the like....

I am prone to bouts of bad English, when, you know, I can't sort of, like, err..... write proper(ly). Like.

Sort of, well, errr, a bit like errr.... George Dubya when he's like sort of asked a question on the hoof.

Jim

As my British friends and I frequently observe, we are two peoples separated by a common language.
As for the "dived/dove" question, both grate on the ear; I like neither, and so prefer alternate constructs to avoid their use.
"I made three dives yesterday."
"I went diving yesterday."
"I plunged in head first."
-------------------------------
One of my favorite quotes on language comes from an American educator, Booker T. Washington, who said "We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom