English Channel crossing with Scooters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... the water there is much different than around Catalina Island here in SoCal, but a local diver (Jon Council) circumnavigated the island (54 miles of coastline) that way. Before his attempt, I told him he was like a fishing lure for GWS!

Hi guys

Just thought I'd give you a quick update re the tides etc.

We are planning to use the tide as best we can through the tidal stream tables but there are several issues with that as we will get two tides flowing through the channel in the time we "think" we will cross it.

Firstly, accuracy. Tidal flows are only estimates and I have never dived or sailed a 100% accurate tidal stream yet.

Secondly, the speed of the scooters in getting to the tidal diamonds "on perfect flow for us time" coupled with trying to set a speed record- all three coming together just won't happen!

Finally and the biggest; when we cross the shipping lanes we have to be 90 degrees to the traffic!

Mmmmm!

Tides can be unpredictable but there must be contributing factors that can be allowed for - they are not random. I.e High atmospheric pressure can delay the high tide as it presses down on the ocean forcing the tide to raise more slowly. Equally, high atmospheric temperatures with hot sunshine can delay the high tide to a degree as the evaporation creates a deficit. I only know the correcttions for my local area (Port Phillip Heads, Melbourne, AUstralia) where slack water can vary up to 50 minutes depending on atmospheric conditions. But I would think there must be some local meteorologists that may be able to assist you in factoring in the variables that affect the English Channel tidal regime. But sounds like an exciting project - good luck with the shipping!

The real answer is they won't see 3 knots. 3 knots is 303 feet per minute. That exceeds the best scooters tested at Tahoe.

Even 2 knots or 202 feet per minute is going to be a challenge.

18.25 nautical miles at 2 knots is a little over 9 hours. Add in diver changes once an hour, ~ 9 changes and 12 hours starts to look about right.

Tobin

Also changing batteries will take some time away.

I think the fundraising aspect of this event is great but I don't really see the diver challenge myself (other than equipment and weather/tide logistics). Even if it does take 12 hours, that basically boils down to 6 -1 hour dives at 15' (with 1 hour SI's) hanging off of scooters following a compass bearing or surface towed marker. Not really a DCS risk and the surface support boat could alert either divers or other vessels encroaching along the anticipated pathway.

Now, if one guy was crossing on one scooter...

I do not think any scooter has the range for one 'guy, one scooter'? But maybe one person towing three scooters.... hmmmm????

Have to agree with Dale here, great fundraising event but not really a challenge, linking a few one hour dives together by different people. One guy going the whole way might be more of a challenge. One cuda fury and a rebreather or bottle switches on the fly for open circuit and we have a dive worth writing about.

There is one guy who will attempt to dive through the Channel on his own, in one go, at an average depth of 20 metres (so diving through under the boats) in June 2012. More information on this & technology at XploreYourLimits

Here is another way to make a record here..... Brownie's Yacht Toys : Seabob
Use the seabobs...they go about 9mph or so, have each one towing a slick kayak ( like a surfski) that contains a big battery...a 6 hour battery....the towing line will also be an electrical cord.....

You can pull a 19 foot racing surfski with a 200 pound battery in it with almost zero effort as a freediver...for the seabob, running at 7 or 8 mph should be next to no drag on the seabob to pull the kayak/dive flag marker/monster battery powering the sea bob.
For that matter, you could add the Brownies new electric Third Lung to the Kayak, and with all the battery power, you would never need to have anyone switch air supply or make any stops at all.
Brownie's YachtDiver : Floating Systems - Variable Speed Diving Systems - Hookah Diving ( you would not use the round tube, you would sit the electric system in the kayak).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom