English Channel crossing with Scooters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd still love to see exactly what scooters they will be using that propel diver at 3 knots (~304 ft / min) i.e. faster than the best scooters at the '09 Tahoe Bench Mark.

Tobin
Me too, but maybe these?

The article says:
Sea scooters propel divers along at a speed of about 3 knots and were used in the James Bond film Thunderball.

from: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5158656-post6.html
EDIT: Mitzi, the underwater propulsion device was an orange two-man wet-sub that was used in the movie "Thunderball". Carl designed a number of underwater scooters and other similar devices. Carl was "The Man" among Key Largo divers back in those days.

Tobin
Me too, but maybe these?

The article says:
Quote:
Sea scooters propel divers along at a speed of about 3 knots and were used in the James Bond film Thunderball.

A scooter from 1965 that one diver can pick up (see the picture in the article link) that can go 303 fpm for an hour?

I'll believe that right after I see a bladefish do 3.75 mph..........

Tobin

A scooter from 1965 that one diver can pick up (see the picture in the article link) that can go 303 fpm for an hour?

I'll believe that right after I see a bladefish do 3.75 mph..........

Tobin
I'm sure the picture is from a stock photo supplier so I doubt that's the scooter they plan on using.

I'm sure a scooter could be built to do the job nicely but, you are right, I don't think the diver could lift it easily.

Then again, a bladefish might be able to do it they had an array of them, connected to a huge power source - nah -- not even then:wink:

Howdy!

A diving colleague of mine sent me the link to your posts and I thought I might answer a couple of points.

My name is Heath Samples, the chap who came up with the idea and applied to Guinness World Records to have the new category set up of The Fastest Crossing of the English Channel on Sea Scooters.

I am also one of the four "Muscooteers" completing the World Record Channel Challenge as we have now called it- marketing eh??!

We are using SEADOO Supercharged RS Seascooters and with the tidal effect in the channel and drag by the equipment we are carrying, expect to cross in anything between 8- 12 hours.

Changeovers shouldn't take too much time as they will be "live" i.e. the team replacing the sub sea pair will fall in behind and move up to the existing pair to maintain a continual track over the channel.

That pair will then peel off and go to the Muscooteer Support boat. There are four support boats with 18 crew in total on board.

The biggest challenge is avoiding shipping as at 5m depth, we ain't going under anything so time will also be dependent on complying with International Maritime Orders (IMO) for the region and also protocol of crossing the channel shipping lanes (90'degrees etc)

There is more information on what we are doing on the club website Scarborough Sub Aqua Club and also search Facebook "World Record Channel Challenge.

Thanks for taking an interest and please spread the word with your other diving buddies.

We are raising money for Help for Heroes and the RNLI/ Scarborough Lifeboat so all exposure welcome!

Best

Heath

We are using SEADOO Supercharged RS Seascooters and with the tidal effect in the channel and drag by the equipment we are carrying, expect to cross in anything between 8- 12 hours.

Changeovers shouldn't take too much time as they will be "live" i.e. the team replacing the sub sea pair will fall in behind and move up to the existing pair to maintain a continual track over the channel.

So..... ~18 miles in 12 hours or 1.5 mph, not 3 mph.

Might be possible.

Tobin

My name is Heath Samples, the chap who came up with the idea and applied to Guinness World Records to have the new category set up of The Fastest Crossing of the English Channel on Sea Scooters.

I am also one of the four "Muscooteers" completing the World Record Channel Challenge as we have now called it- marketing eh??!

We are using SEADOO Supercharged RS Seascooters and with the tidal effect in the channel and drag by the equipment we are carrying, expect to cross in anything between 8- 12 hours....
Thanks for posting the information Heath.

I hope it goes well for you and your team of Muscooteers! :D

So..... ~18 miles in 12 hours or 1.5 mph, not 3 mph.

Might be possible.

Tobin

That would be 1.5 mph over ground which is not necessarly what they have to do in the water as they fight the tides.

That would be 1.5 mph over ground which is not necessarly what they have to do in the water as they fight the tides.

I am well aware of this. I'm also well aware of the performance possible from various scooters.

Good planning allows for the effects of the tides to be neutral or even beneficial.

Tobin

I think the fundraising aspect of this event is great but I don't really see the diver challenge myself (other than equipment and weather/tide logistics). Even if it does take 12 hours, that basically boils down to 6 -1 hour dives at 15' (with 1 hour SI's) hanging off of scooters following a compass bearing or surface towed marker. Not really a DCS risk and the surface support boat could alert either divers or other vessels encroaching along the anticipated pathway.

Now, if one guy was crossing on one scooter...

My question would be what's the power source for the scooter? I imagine even standard batteries would drain before 12 hours of continuous use. Will spare batteries be carried on the support boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom