English Channel crossing with Scooters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe if we used these we could cross a little quicker...:wink:
cayago-magnum-seabob-ocean-premium-underwater-scooter-luxury-toy.jpg

Back in WWII there were manned human torpedo submarines, where two riders sat on the torpedo shaped vessel using breathing apparatus, more information here:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~gchalcraft/sm/chariots.html

Reliability was not their forte in particular the Italian ones.

Now that is one cool scooter, shame SEADOO don't pick up that design!

Re batteries, the unit carries a replaceable/ rechargeable battery which lasts approx 2 hours.

Given most manufacturers claims we are working on getting optimum speed for one hour hence the hourly changeover.

We've got plenty of fully charged batteries on board the support boats along with 30 7L cylinders that will be used as either singles or pairs depending on the divers air consumption!

We will be charging cylinders and batteries whilst we cross the channel along with the other housekeeping duties to support the Muscooteers.

We get one shot at it so to fall over because we brake a scooter, loose a battery or run out of egg sandwiches ain't going to happen on my watch!

My original plan was for the four of us to go in at Dover and come out at Cap Gris Nez but until someone invents one that has the duration and speed we are going relay!

We are still in the training mode so if you guys have any ideas and suggestions then please, fire them over- we'll consider anything (within limits!!)

Best

Heath

Well Heath if your team all go out and have a damn good curry the night before ....... :rofl3:

My original plan was for the four of us to go in at Dover and come out at Cap Gris Nez but until someone invents one that has the duration and speed we are going relay!

Scooters exist now that offer almost 7 hours of endurance at a genuine 2 mph, 176 feet per minute, (single tank diver)

The technology exists to extend this to about 8 hours.

At 150 fpm the endurance approaches 10 hours.

These scooters weigh less than 50 lbs.

Tobin

I think the fundraising aspect of this event is great but I don't really see the diver challenge myself (other than equipment and weather/tide logistics). Even if it does take 12 hours, that basically boils down to 6 -1 hour dives at 15' (with 1 hour SI's) hanging off of scooters following a compass bearing or surface towed marker. Not really a DCS risk and the surface support boat could alert either divers or other vessels encroaching along the anticipated pathway.

Now, if one guy was crossing on one scooter...

Have to agree with Dale here, great fundraising event but not really a challenge, linking a few one hour dives together by different people. One guy going the whole way might be more of a challenge. One cuda fury and a rebreather or bottle switches on the fly for open circuit and we have a dive worth writing about.

...We get one shot at it so to fall over because we brake a scooter, loose a battery or run out of egg sandwiches ain't going to happen on my watch!...
We are still in the training mode so if you guys have any ideas and suggestions then please, fire them over- we'll consider anything (within limits!!)
These sort of activities success or failure usually turn on one small detail being overlooked. The logistical challenge of having multiple spare parts for everything is daunting but doable.

From extra warm clothes, tank o-rings, drysuit and BC repair kits - (wow, this could get to be a long list.). Just last week we were on a boat where a diver's wetsuit zipper broke and he could not repair it. Sadly, he just sat on the boat watching everyone else dive.

Add up the spare stuff you need, then bring three times that amount.:wink:

I would also consider undergarment selection and onboard rewarming capacity. Doing six cold water dives may gradually drop your core temps despite 1hr SI's. Scootering won't generate much heat during the dives and after the first couple you will be playing thermal catch up. I generally like thinner gloves for manual dexterity and lighter undergarments to avoid the bubble but for those profiles I would bulk up on insulation to prevent heat loss rather than trying to reclaim it post dive on a boat.

Back
Top Bottom