English Channel crossing with Scooters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I gotta wonder why a 21 mile crossing using "3 knot" scooters requires 12 hours........

21 miles is about 18.25 nautical miles. If they were perfect on the diver exchanges that's a bit over 6 hours.

Makes me go hummmm

Tobin

All you need to look at is the tidal current table for the Channel and you might see that 3 knots in the water might be 0 knots (or backwards) over ground for some of the trip.

All you need to look at is the tidal current table for the Channel and you might see that 3 knots in the water might be 0 knots (or backwards) over ground for some of the trip.

I'd still love to see exactly what scooters they will be using that propel diver at 3 knots (~304 ft / min) i.e. faster than the best scooters at the '09 Tahoe Bench Mark.

Tobin

If this is also being done changing divers every hour, time will be lost on the changeover.

Interesting challenge though, at 5M depth, I wonder about the draught of some of the ships that could cross their path, surface crew are going to play a vital safety position in their quest.

I doubt the watch on a large tanker cruising through the straits of Dover is going to notice a small SMB being dragged along the surface at 3 knots :shocked2:

If this is also being done changing divers every hour, time will be lost on the changeover.

Interesting challenge though, at 5M depth, I wonder about the draught of some of the ships that could cross their path, surface crew are going to play a vital safety position in their quest.

I doubt the watch on a large tanker cruising through the straits of Dover is going to notice a small SMB being dragged along the surface at 3 knots :shocked2:

Will they loose an hour at each change over?

Tobin

Will they loose an hour at each change over?

Tobin

I doubt it but you never know how the weather might be on the day and other factors that could influence the project.

I doubt it but you never know how the weather might be on the day and other factors that could influence the project.

The real answer is they won't see 3 knots. 3 knots is 303 feet per minute. That exceeds the best scooters tested at Tahoe.

Even 2 knots or 202 feet per minute is going to be a challenge.

18.25 nautical miles at 2 knots is a little over 9 hours. Add in diver changes once an hour, ~ 9 changes and 12 hours starts to look about right.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom