End to mini season in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The FWC, not content with ending shark dives in Florida, continues its assault on divers with proposed changes to lobster mini-season in Monroe County (the keys). See the link:

http://floridaconservation.org/commission/2001/Nov/12Asportseason.pdf

One small step at a time, divers will not be welcome here. I believe these efforts to be sponsored by commercial fishing interests, and they are using the environment as an excuse. That is why the feeding ban doesn't apply to fishing and this proposed change applies only to the sport season.

Well,
It's not suprising there's a conflict of interest between the commercial fisherman and the sport divers down there. However, I do not support any ban on the mini season neither do I support the ban on shark feeding. The shark feeding ban was enacted for all the wrong reasons. I'm one of those people who think that individuals are responseable for their on actions, no matter how foolish those actions might be. We've been going to Cudjo Key for the last twenty years and we've never had a problem with the police or the Florida Wildlife officers. They've always been courteous and professional when checking us.:tree:Bob

The push to ban mini-season wasn't started by the commercial boys, it got rolling by the mayor of Key Colony Beach (Marathon), Ed Sheahan, who cited 80 police calls over the 2-day season. He's been petitioning the rest of the county leaders and they petitioned the Florida Fish & Wildlife Commission to end the season.
I had heard the cops were harassing divers who weren't even making mischief.

I harvest bugs commercially in FL, by the way.

I avoid the mini-sport in Monroe for the reasons they site.It is disgusting to see the aftermath 2 weeks later as we arrive for our vacation.I find a lot of overturned coral heads,junk that was put down recently to attract bugs(not by locals ,we know what works)damage done by anchoring in the patch instead of the sand next to it.This along with more beer cans than I used to see in the 70's and 80's in Ft Liquordale for spring break.If visiting divers(many from Fla) want the rights they should honor the responsibilities.I have never been harassed by any law enforcement officers,nor have any of my friends or guests.I hope this law doesn't pass ,but their motives can't be questioned.Most of the commercial guys laugh at the antics ,it's primarily family nieghboorhoods that don't appreciate the mayhem.the regular season has far fewer incidents involving impaired boaters and fisheries violations but boasts far greater #s of touristas over the 7+ months it runs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom