End of recreational path.... technical path ahead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your accident insurance is the same cost. The additional insurance cost is if you want to function as a DM, but you can just get the card and never be a DM.

Not true. For example if you are not active or retired Divemaster you are still considered as professional and DAN insurance cost is higher than for ordinary recreational diver. You can go to DAN site and check by yourself.

good luck with your progress...sounds like an interesting path.

Not true. For example if you are not active or retired Divemaster you are still considered as professional and DAN insurance cost is higher than for ordinary recreational diver. You can go to DAN site and check by yourself.
In the US and Canada there is no difference.
In DAN Europe you can purchase either Sport or Pro insurance; I assume you can purchase Sport if you are not functioning as a Pro. What means "considered as professional" and who decides that, if you are not able to function as a professional?

In the US and Canada there is no difference.
In DAN Europe you can purchase either Sport or Pro insurance; I assume you can purchase Sport if you are not functioning as a Pro. What means "considered as professional" and who decides that, if you are not able to function as a professional?

Take a look once again at DAN US site. There is a different insurance for rec divers and professionals (even there is a separate category for inactive (retired), DMs and etc. I really do not like to argue with people who are lazy to check simple facts. Please read first, comment later. Insurance business is pretty stright forward - you need to read the rules. If you are Divemaster, then you are professional (even if you do not work in DM capacity).

This has been gone over repeatedly on SB. Advanced only means you have advanced beyond OW. It does not mean, and has never been intended to mean, that you are now an advanced diver.

No need to tell me obvious fact. Did i tell you that AOW cert means that diver is Advanced? No, then end of discussion :)

You should have learned this on the Nav dive of your AOW course.

Mr. Master Instructor, when the last time you read AOW manual? It seems that this was a very long time ago. Open AOW manual page 286 and take a look what is included in Navigation dive under AOW program. You will see that knots tying, lifting objects by using lift bag, searching for objects are not included under that dive. Only diving by using compass (square pattern and straight line diving and back) is included. Navigation dive under AOW program is very different from Search and Recovery specialty sylabus. Accordingly, i could not get that skills which you described in 1 Navigation dive. Sorry to say, but by reading your comments i really doubt that you know the basic PADI theory.... Good luck in your courses but do not forget to read the manual before you start lecturing your students.

Many of the best dives I’ve ever been with have only the minimum ‘formal’ training needed to do the dives they want to complete. This is because operators are requited (for insurance reasons) to ensure their customers are ‘trained’ to make the dive they’re taking them on. They’re ‘the best’ because they’ve dove hundreds or thousands of dives, and their experience is superior to any training they could ‘buy’…

With that, people often would refer to your experience as, “Card Collecting”. Nothing wrong with that, but be aware a rolodex of training cards is really not worth anything…

I’d suggest you spend your money on traveling to spots where you want to dive. There’s nothing that replaces time in the water, and if there’s limited local diving, then travel is your only option. Along those same lines, a mentor may be valuable (far more valuable than those certifications/ cards). A mentor can guide you on this path you’re on, and may help you avoid ‘new diver mistakes’…

You should have learned this on the Nav dive of your AOW course.
This was in reference ONLY to the compass part of your AOW Nav course, and the compass part of your S&R course. What you wrote sounded like you liked S&R because you learned to use a compass, and i commented that you should have learned how to do that in your AOW course. Did you?

Take a look once again at DAN US site. There is a different insurance for rec divers and professionals (even there is a separate category for inactive (retired), DMs and etc. I really do not like to argue with people who are lazy to check simple facts. Please read first, comment later. Insurance business is pretty stright forward - you need to read the rules. If you are Divemaster, then you are professional (even if you do not work in DM capacity).
Perhaps we are seeing different DAN sites because of our IP addresses. The US DAN site (DAN.org) accessed from the US has no Sport or Pro categories...it is the same insurance for all. Before I commented I looked at both sites and was surprised to see that DANEurope.org has the Sport and Pro categories, but I see nothing that tells me you must use the Pro category if you are a non-functiioning DM. Where did you get that information?

No need to tell me obvious fact. Did i tell you that AOW cert means that diver is Advanced? No, then end of discussion :)
What you said was: "From practical terms "Advanced" certification name is a marketing gimmick as after 5 additional dives with instructor you do not be really advanced diver." The implication is that you felt mislead by the same, and were complaining about its use.

Mr. Master Instructor, when the last time you read AOW manual?
Yesterday, in fact.

Back
Top Bottom