Encyclopedia of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great feedback so far everybody, I really appreciate it, reading it now and before bed and 'on the can':shocked2:

I'll have to admit, sometimes I feel 'Behind the 8-ball' so to speak, that is when it comes to O/W PADI. I did my O/W with FAUI in '87 in Australia (now I"m dating myself), and did my first PADI course 'advanced' back in around 2005. Not saying we did not learn much back then, although FAUI is now 'defunct', I just don't have some of the earlier knowledge that might come with taking O/W PADI, I think my experience from diving around the worlds and such will come in handy though. I'm kinda a 'worry wart' as well:D.
I do very much appreciate everyone's input here!!!

I freelance and don't work for shop, but agree with Joe-Diver. As such, I don't stock the Encyclopedia but could very easily order it. I will show it to my current class and recommend it as well. It makes good sense :) on many levels. This thread has really gotten me to re-look at the Encyclopedia as a resource for all divers, not just "DMT"s. That was my first exposure to it by the way.

Hey guys, I'm gunna beat a dead horse. As I mentioned, I bought the book over a year ago way before even thinking about DM. I read something about scuba every night (retired-lots of time), and do that to better myself, not just for DM test studying. But having done the Workbook like 27 times, and looking over the Encyclo. & other manuals likewise, I'm still curious. Obviously without giving away any test questions, what percentage of the 160 test questions would actually be different (perhaps unrelated?) questions than the specific ones in the Workbook? If the tests are like 90% of the actual questions in the Workbook, it would seem to be a breeze to ace them all, no?

for the tests - which is off topic

The workbook will actually give you some practice beyond what you need for the DM exams. There's a few tricky questions but with a good tutor you'll be fine. The exams, for most people, are indeed a breeze. The other three exams are right out of the DM manual and DVD.

Back to the encyclopaedia - also may I recommend the DVD 'multimedia' version - has loads of really excellent little film clips as well as the text info. I could keep my DMTs spellbound watching how tanks and gauges were made (I know that sounds unlikely but it's actually true!)

And you know - it occurred to me after Joe-Diver's post that I don't wave the encyclopaedia around enough when I am teaching (in fact, not at all, at the moment) and yet here I am enthusiastically espousing its greatness. I will endeavour to rectify this situation.

Happy reading,

C.

I am currently in the car on my way to Key Largo for a dive trip with my local shop. I am in here with my instructor that I am doing my divemaster with and a few hours ago she handed my the encyclopedia and said I should read it. So Im working on it and I think all divemasters should read.

And you know - it occurred to me after Joe-Diver's post that I don't wave the encyclopaedia around enough when I am teaching (in fact, not at all, at the moment) and yet here I am enthusiastically espousing its greatness. I will endeavour to rectify this situation.

That was my conclusion as well.

For PADI Divemaster Trainees, the Encyclopedia is standard issue. It s a great read but also a PADI publication.

I am currently studying for my DM and am curious as to whether everybody read the "Encyclopedia of Diving" 'page to page' or what.
Short answer for your DM tests you need to read sections 3,4,5 word by word and in section 2 pages 2-27 to 2-35 inclusive.
For your general marine biology skills it is worth reading the whole of section 2
Section 1 is quite entertaining as it goes about the history of diving but nothing in that section will be coming in the test.
Hope this helps

Short answer for your DM tests you need to read sections 3,4,5 word by word and in section 2 pages 2-27 to 2-35 inclusive.
For your general marine biology skills it is worth reading the whole of section 2
Section 1 is quite entertaining as it goes about the history of diving but nothing in that section will be coming in the test.
Hope this helps

Yes, this is a big help, thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom