Encyclopedia of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tboxcar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am currently studying for my DM and am curious as to whether everybody read the "Encyclopedia of Diving" 'page to page' or what. Don't get me wrong some parts of it I find fascinating and can't put down, while other parts seem rather mundane. Would be interested in what others have to say? I guess my question is: Is it necessary to read it 'page to page' and 'word for word' and yes, I have read the sticky and am concentrating on some of the more important chapters.

I read it cover to cover during my OW class, but I'm weird and rather driven.

Posted via Mobile Device

the workbook questions should give you an idea on how to used the encyclopedia :)

I read the whole thing 2 years ago. Just signed up for DM in March. Did the Workbook. Re-read the Encyclo. areas the Workbook suggested as the reference sections the Workbook questions were from. I found that it seems the Workbook questions cover the nuts & bolts important stuff in each related section of the Encyclo. There are apparently huge sections of the Encyclo. that will not be covered in the DM course/exams, interesting as they may be (ei.-most of the whole first chapter, where you learn all sorts of neat stuff about ocean depths, dive spots, etc.). Even in the sections the Workbook refers to it seems there is a lot of extra (interesting) stuff that is just more description of the basic question. I followed the same procedure for references in the Rescue Manual, Advent. in Diving, OW Manuals, etc. Hope my approach will set me up well for the course/exams. What do you pros think?

The workbook and your instructor should be able to help guide you. Think of the Encyclopedia as a reference book. You need not read it cover to cover IMO. Your own interest, training requirements and future needs should help determine what sections to read now and potentially after your DMT.

Good luck with your DMT!

Hope my approach will set me up well for the course/exams. What do you pros think?

Everything you need for a PADI Pro course is right there in the Encyclopedia.

You don't have to read it cover to cover, but what could it hurt? Concentrate on the portions of the Encyclopedia that your workbook quizzes point you towards.

There is a lot of good information in that book. Reading as much as you can will give you a good idea where to look for something later when you get a question from a student, new diver, customer or interested non-diver.

And yes I did read the whole thing during my Divemaster course.

I hate it when people use the initials DMT for a Divemaster course. DMT stands for Diving Medical Technician.

Read it cover to cover,more then once.:D
All you need to know for DM or OWSI is in there.
Have FUN reading.:D

I hate it when people use the initials DMT for a Divemaster course. DMT stands for Diving Medical Technician.

For PADI, that is what is used in my region and many parts outside of your area. Two different organizations with regards to the training you refer too. DMT is appropriate for both. Dive Master Trainee or training (another example of its use), makes good sense. We live in a big world in which differences are bound to happen. I don't like DMC, but in the end no big deal. DMC sounds like a title for some kind of dive master of ceremony at a banquet :). Obviously a difference exists between the two. Let's just hope the OP enjoys the "DMT" as much as we all did. :D

Last edited:
I am sooooo happy to see the sentiment above!

Do you need to read it cover to cover to pass your exams? No... but

why would a person NOT want to read it all? It's brilliant! It's the most comprehensive guide to recreational suba diving available. Yes, there is some stuff that might be a little mathematical but it's not rocket science and the encyclopaedia does it's best to cater to both the 'lay' person and the dive professional.

Keep it in the bathroom magazine rack, and read a little every morning!

Safe reading,

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom