Encourage me as I learn to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations!

Learning is the best gift you can give yourself - and learning to dive is even better!
Enjoy your adventure and.... happy diving!

I've been to the Museum... fantastic place. Learning to dive will give you a whole new appreciation for your work... from a much more personal level. Hoping to be down there in Oct. for another visit...

Enjoy...

"It's not rocket science, it's submarine science. Pete "NetDoc" told me during our first training session, situated on a picnic table near the dock at Conch Republic Divers. Yeah, I like the visual image that brought to mind. And it reinforced the notion that diving is exploring realms that are beyond our everyday reach. We spent at least an hour reviewing the basics, talking about what I had learned in my online course and reviewing safety. Pete has three rules of diving: #1 Don't stop breathing. #2 It's your dive. You can call a dive at any time, for any reason, no questions asked. #3 Stay close to your buddy or OOA + OOB = OOL (figure it out). I have heard these three rules repeated over and over again during my first two pool sessions.

I feel extremely fortunate to be receiving one on one instruction from someone who is as passionate about teaching as he is about diving. This personalized instruction is, in my opinion and having no other experience, the best way to go. I can ask questions as they arise and I can practice things I am not completely comfortable with over and over until I get it right. It's kind of like having a personal trainer that watches all your moves to make sure you are doing it right every time and don't develop bad habits. However, I can see some value in listening to, watching and sharing with others in a small group learning environment if private instruction isn't an option.

So now my story turns to one of learning to dive in a hot tub. Sounds like something you'd do after (or in the midst of!) a night of drinking! But alas it was about noon, we were both sober and the pool water was 95 degrees! Other than the fact that we both felt like we were swimming in pee water and ended up with heat rash, at least I wasn't cold (which is the way I tend to be, even in warm water) and I could concentrate on learning.

Overall pool session #1 was great! I felt like I made good progress by the end of the 2.5 hour session. The first challenge was learning to clear my mask. I've snorkeled many times, but I was never taught the technical way to clear your mask. I always thought you just put it on without any water in it. After several nosefuls of water, I got it right. Who would have thought that skill would present a challenge? The other thing that caught me a little off guard was realizing that I could still breathe through my reg without the mask on. For some reason it just didn't seem right using my reg without my mask...why?

Now, I've never been too good at anything that requires me to respond quickly to one of two choices (you know, like move left or right as in an aerobics class), so getting the buoyancy right was the biggest challenge during my second in-pool session. Inflate, deflate? Which button does what? I found myself having to think through it each time. So sometimes when I wanted to be on the pool bottom, I wound up popping to the top or vice versa. Pete assured me I'd get the hang of it and I know I will, with practice. Pete's been razzing me about trying to adjust buoyancy with my snorkel. If I were going to customize my gear I would make the buoyancy regulator easier to grab a hold of, as I often found myself with my snorkel in my hand instead. The darn snorkel was a bit of a nuisance to have on while doing the pool sessions. But NetDoc kept assuring me it was required. (Hence my recent posting on ScubaBoard re: how to keep the snorkel out of the way.)

As I learn and progress I am finding ScubaBoard to be a great resource. Both for serious discussion and a source of lighthearted scuba banter. (Check out the photo on the best use of a snorkel in the new divers forum.) My dad always told me, "Ask a silly question and you'll get a silly answer."

I'll let you know how my next session goes - waiting to get my 7mm wetsuit as I am the epitome of a freeze baby!

(And if you need help with the OOA + OOB = OOL let NetDoc or I know)

Just to be sure I understand, pool session one was conducted in a hot tub?

As to the snorkel/inflator issue, the inflator hose should be retained by a velcro strap, which is typically a bit above nipple level. Your snorkel shouldn't be riding that low, so if you develop muscle memory to start feeling for the inflator just below the velcro, then follow the hose down, you should come up with the inflator every time.

Debbie, you might get a kick out of reading the journal of my open water class (link in my sig line). There are a lot of challenges in this learning to dive thing!

I, too, found the snorkel was always in my hand when I didn't want it to be. After I was certified, and no longer required to keep it on my mask, it got disassembled and moved to a pocket, and eventually left at home.

Just how big was this hot tub anyway?!

Personalized training of any kind is excellent....welcome to a great sport!

Edit: Just checked out your website: good for you to become a diver, it will add that same enthusiasm you mention that NetDoc has to your workday!

This is an interesting read, but I am wondering if it might not be better to combine your journal of discovery into one thread. It might be really good for other new divers to read before they embark, and it will be easier if it is all together in one place.

So now my story turns to one of learning to dive in a hot tub. Sounds like something you'd do after (or in the midst of!) a night of drinking! But alas it was about noon, we were both sober and the pool water was 95 degrees! Other than the fact that we both felt like we were swimming in pee water and ended up with heat rash, at least I wasn't cold (which is the way I tend to be, even in warm water) and I could concentrate on learning.

Wow.... I had no idea Pete was so slick.... Just watch out for the Naked Surprise :shocked2:

(And if you need help with the OOA + OOB = OOL let NetDoc or I know)

I'm guessing Out Of Air + Out Of Buddy = Out Of Luck.

What's really going to spin your top about the beginners course is that you're really only getting the same lesson given to you 19 different ways....... Namely, prevention is better than cure.

R..

Back
Top Bottom