Encourage me as I learn to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debra@DivingMuseum

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My birthday present to myself is to learn to dive. And thanks to a group of people who thought it a crime that the Director of the History of Diving Museum doesn't dive, I've been gifted with everything I need to get started. Pete "NetDoc" from ScubaBoard.com is my instructor, I'm doing my academics online at SDIonline.com (Scuba Diving International), Gary and Brenda at Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier have arranged for my pool and open water sessions, and Divers Direct in Key Largo has outfitted me with a wetsuit.

So the morning of my 48th birthday I set out to meet with Pete and start learning to explore a whole new world. Excited? Yes? Anxious? Yes? Determined? Absolutely!

For anyone considering learning to dive, but not sure it's for them; follow me as I undertake this new adventure. I am hoping to earn back my middle-school nickname "fish." Though I'm still not sure where that originated...

NetDoc and I will be on the In the Water radio program with Mark Mills this evening between 6 and 7 PM on WKEZ 96.9 FM, you can listen online at www.easy969.com/main. We'll be talking about the process of learning to dive, how ScubaBoard.com connects the diving community and some upcoming events at the History of Diving Museum in Islamorada, FL.

I'll keep you posted on my adventure.

Congratulations on taking the first step! I'm looking forward to visiting the museum while I'm in Key Largo next month.

Debra-

Happy Birthday, You'll absolutely love the gift you got yourself, and continue thanking yourself for years to come.

With that crew behind you, I can't believe you need any more encouragement.

But just in case -- If you ever become discouraged or unsure that this is something you really want to do, go to the biggest aquarium around, and as you put your face against the glass admiring the beautiful fishes, tell yourself that if you were a diver, you wouldn't be on the outside looking in.

d. Francisco

The history of diving has a new datum, YOUR first breath. Now you're part of it all.

Happy birthday and best regards!

Happy Birthday!!!

Diving can be a bit intimidating and cause a roller coaster like feeling in your stomach, but just like the coaster, it's all worth it...

Congrats & keep us posted.. As they've told me here, don't judge your own performance based on how easy it is for your instructor... He's been doing this for years...

Happy New Year!!!

Congratulations and Happy Birthday! What a wonderful present you're giving yourself. It's a gift that will keep on giving for the rest of your life! Sorry I just saw this thread this morning. I would have loved to have heard the broadcast. Is it taped so those of us who missed it can listen?

Keep us posted on your journey as a new diver. It's wonderful to watch and listen as new divers discover the joys of diving and the experiences they have. We can root for your accomplishments and encourage you when you need it, give wanted AND unasked for advice...hehe, and just share in the excitement of your new venture. Again, Congrats!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom