Encourage me as I learn to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Part of being a newbie diver is not knowing (or remembering) the technical terms for the various things we practiced.
The names of the skills just aren't that important... DOING them is. Too often instructors get mired in trying to convey the correct nomenclature for the skill, and simply MISS the essence of the skill.

Also, a lot of our communication was done via hand signals. Doff and Don to Debra was signaled by me pointing to her, to her piece of gear and then pointing away and back to her quickly. Also, some of the technical jargon is simply BORING. Deb knows how I hate BORING. The ESA would be better known to her as "Playing Superman". It's how I get my students to understand the important parts of the skill! Her right hand extended way above her head and her left on her inflator valve, just reminds me of a superman pose. Retrieving her reg by reaching back for her hoses is the "Elvis Retrieval" since it looks like you are slicking back your hair when you do it. Training doesn't have to be painful, and I am certain that Deb would tell you that we had a lot of fun.

Pete did a great job of summarizing the skills I learned. Part of being a newbie diver is not knowing (or remembering) the technical terms for the various things we practiced. Hence, my hesitancy to write about some of it. (Guess I need to take the new divers disclaimer on this thread more literally).
no problems .. write more about how it feels and and how you think your doing (you'll do fine ... bet you :wink: :D )

I am an avid swimmer, so being in the pool was very comfortable. I've been swimming along the shore since I was a young child on Florida vacations, but not with any regularity (did I mention I was from Cleveland, Ohio?) So transferring my skills to the open water makes me a little apprehensive...
a little aprehensive is normal, but I bet that Pete will cover all aspects so well that after your there it will not be as scary as it is from here ... as to how you'll do? ... see above :)

My first boat dive. Apprehensive, but determined. I arrive at the boat without my wet suit. Pete chidingly points out that he's remembered all the rest of my gear which I left with him after my first two training dives. Good instructor - holds me accountable but doesn't ridicule me! (Or call me blonde...at least out loud).

We are on the boat with Conch Republic divers out of Tavernier Creek Marina. I felt confident in setting up my gear, though I was very cautious to double check everything. I knew this was no time to compromise safety and I don’t want any complications on my first dive.

A big dark cloud looms overhead as we head out to Molasses Reef. The seas are pretty rough. I keep looking out at the horizon (as recommended in my SDI course to ease motion sickness). I’m more comfortable (less queasy) standing than sitting for some reason. Does it seem crazy that my biggest fears about the dive at the onset were: 1. getting queasy and 2. not being able to equalize and having a lot of pain in my ears?

The cloud stayed to the south of us, but the waters continued to be churn. I was starting to get cold, so a few minutes prior to the 10 minute warning, I donned my 7 mm Bare Polar wetsuit. I know from experience that I don’t want to start off chilled, or I’ll never warm up and that doesn’t make for a pleasurable or fun experience. No undue stress needed!

By the time the boat stopped at the reef, Pete and I were ready to jump in. I learned a new skill at this point – turn around at the edge of the boat and fall backwards! Just like I used to do into the pool as a kid. Sure, the giant stride works, but this is sooo easy. Certainly not technical and maybe it makes me look like a beginner, but if it’s good enough for Pete, it’s good enough for me!

Once in the water, I’m bobbing around on big waves and breathing pretty rapidly. Not ready to go under yet! Pete is patient and waits for me to calm my nerves – just a minute or two. I know I don’t want to bob around on these rough seas! Down we go! I am scuba diving in the open ocean! I can’t believe it! As someone who has always marveled at the wonders of God’s Creation, I am awed by the whole new world that has opened up to me. I want to see it all and know about it and protect it!

I glide down, I clear my mask, I equalize and I’m at the bottom. No problem! I remind myself to breath slowly and deeply. Be calm. Relax. Enjoy. I follow Pete so closely that I am closer than his shadow. I later ask him if it bothers him that I stay so close. He reassures me that it is fine. Once I lost sight of him – he had surfaced to check out our location and I missed his signal. I was a little concerned, but knew to remain in the same spot and he’d be able to find me – or I’d go to the surface to see if I could find him. All of the sudden he was there and we resumed our swim.

Pete taught me the difference between smart lobsters and stupid lobsters. (Ask him!) We saw so many amazing things! Such a variety of life forms! Fish, eels, mollusks, crustaceans, plant life, and other divers (some with danglies)….

I had a lot on my mind that first dive. I was working on my buoyancy, thinking about my equipment, my breathing, my mask (which fell off once), staying near Pete, avoiding the things he showed me and then signaled “X” with his hands, checking my computer…yet I managed to enjoy the dive and experience many new things.

I got to feel the sting of contact with fire coral on my ankle, the experience of dry mouth from breathing through my regulator, the queasiness of swimming in the surge and the beauty and joy of weightlessness and the undersea world, which is truly another whole world opened up to me.

When it is time to surface, I am ready. I’m tired and feeling a little shaky. Pete goes to the top to get a bearing and comes down to lead me on our swim to the boat. We swim a little way and surface…by the wrong boat! (Even the best of us make mistakes, and when the conditions are difficult, it gets even easier to make mistakes.) We aren’t far off – but alas, the rough seas have taken their toll on me and I’m finding it difficult to swim through them with my gear on. I keep my regulator in my mouth, inflate my BC to capacity, roll over on my back and kick as Pete assists me in the swim to the Republic Diver boat.

I used the T-ladder to get into the boat. Hey, that wasn’t hard. I am thankful for the assistance of one of the crew to carry my extra weight to my seat and take off my BC. Whew!

I am elated and relieved. I did it! And Pete was there to assist and reassure me. Knowing that I had a qualified, capable buddy helped me to feel more comfortable and confident and overcome my anxiety. Although I did feel slightly queasy and my ears were a little blocked, overall my fears had not been realized and I was ready for the trip to Snapper Reef and my second dive…

Happy Birthday! Enjoy learning to dive! It will be one of the best experiences of your life.

Well congratulations on a get dive. I am so thrilled that there is another diver joining the ranks. Have fun now.

As I had taught Debra earlier in her class, it's best to watch your buddy for signs of stress. She hid them pretty well! :D As she stated the first dive was a bit challenging, but she no only did "good", she did GREAT! I covered more territory with Debra than I had ever covered with a new student. My fears about her kick evaporated as we made a HUGE loop back to the wrong boat. When I had surfaced earlier, I spotted the distinct outline of a Newton. Little did I know that the RIGHT Newton was fifteen feet behind me! :D A little swimming never hurt anyone!

The Second dive, done an hour later could not have been more different. My student was calm and enthused and READY to go. Hey, the seas were a lot calmer too! Maybe they were reflecting Debra's angst? But there we were at my favorite place in the Keys: Snapper Ledges. Two back flops later (it IS the easiest entry) and we were ready to descend.

Whoa, there is a HUGE difference in Debra as we descend. Her confidence was great and we started to tour the site. Snapper ledges is known for HUGE schools of fish. We played with a black spotted moray, a green moray, several cool species of fish and then Debra points at a Flamingo Tongue, which is a type of Nudibranch. Great eyes. I show her a small conch, and then we start to find 30+ Queen Conchs. How cool is that! A cuda buzzes us by and we find ourselves back near the boat. I have to admit that I am taken aback. WHERE ARE THE STINKING FISH? We start to swim under the boat and WHOA. Forget schools, we are witnessing HERDS of fish. It's like watching that Nemo movie and we are expecting them to make some sort of sign for us. We find a cool swim through and I lead the way, half expecting to find Debra swimming over it. Not on your life. The student is a student no more and she maneuvers gracefully through without silting up the place. Yet, even though we both had plenty of air, our hour is up and we return to the boat.

On the boat, everyone is talking about the sheer beauty of it all. Debra has one more job to accomplish. It has been a tradition of mine for every student to blow the Conch horn to signify that they have passed the test. Deb steps right up and gives an undisputed A. Well done! You should be PROUD!

As I had taught Debra earlier in her class, it's best to watch your buddy for signs of stress. She hid them pretty well! :D As she stated the first dive was a bit challenging, but she no only did "good", she did GREAT! I covered more territory with Debra than I had ever covered with a new student. My fears about her kick evaporated as we made a HUGE loop back to the wrong boat. When I had surfaced earlier, I spotted the distinct outline of a Newton. Little did I know that the RIGHT Newton was fifteen feet behind me! :D A little swimming never hurt anyone!

The Second dive, done an hour later could not have been more different. My student was calm and enthused and READY to go. Hey, the seas were a lot calmer too! Maybe they were reflecting Debra's angst? But there we were at my favorite place in the Keys: Snapper Ledges. Two back flops later (it IS the easiest entry) and we were ready to descend.

Whoa, there is a HUGE difference in Debra as we descend. Her confidence was great and we started to tour the site. Snapper ledges is known for HUGE schools of fish. We played with a black spotted moray, a green moray, several cool species of fish and then Debra points at a Flamingo Tongue, which is a type of Nudibranch. Great eyes. I show her a small conch, and then we start to find 30+ Queen Conchs. How cool is that! A cuda buzzes us by and we find ourselves back near the boat. I have to admit that I am taken aback. WHERE ARE THE STINKING FISH? We start to swim under the boat and WHOA. Forget schools, we are witnessing HERDS of fish. It's like watching that Nemo movie and we are expecting them to make some sort of sign for us. We find a cool swim through and I lead the way, half expecting to find Debra swimming over it. Not on your life. The student is a student no more and she maneuvers gracefully through without silting up the place. Yet, even though we both had plenty of air, our hour is up and we return to the boat.

On the boat, everyone is talking about the sheer beauty of it all. Debra has one more job to accomplish. It has been a tradition of mine for every student to blow the Conch horn to signify that they have passed the test. Deb steps right up and gives an undisputed A. Well done! You should be PROUD!

PADI offers navigation specialtys.:rofl3:

Sorry could not resist,great story though,looks like a very fine student.

Heck now I pi$$ed off my/the boss.:D

"It's not the agency, it's the student" ... I mean "Instructor" :wink:

It must be wonderful to see your student blossom like that :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom