Empty Tanks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because honestly I will tell you this: you aren't ready for them yet. You are still just getting comfortable in the water with <50 dives.

Slow down, proceed with caution. You can do a zillion fun dives using your single 130s right now as it is, there's no need to double them up for a long, long time.

I understand that...if you had seen me in the water. For all you know, I could be a fish! Or...since I havent responded to any of this dive count stuff...that may completely be wrong and I could be on my third set of doubles and 3,000+ dives. This post was about empty tank storage, not doubles assembly or how to dive them. I'm working on a zillion fun dives on my 119 currently. Anyhow...I'm all about keeping my dives well within my comfort zone. I'm just looking ahead and making sure I am preparing for my ultimate goal...however long that might take.

"Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

I think it's genuine concern. Have you worn the full 130s in the water yet?

Nope. I sure havent. I'm not ready yet. Granted I could just go toss them on with my wetsuit and see what happens...but that would be stupid...in my opinion. I wont be wearing them with a wetsuit on actual dives...I'll be in a drysuit I am still just getting used to. One foot...or fin, as it were... in front of the other I say! I figure the way I'm going by the end of the summer maybe I'll be ready to sport them in the pool and get a feel for them and go from there.

Which brings me back to the point of the thread...So the fact that these tanks sat in my apartment with no air in them for almost two months should be no cause for concern since they have been dry, sealed, and never had any air in them?

If so, Great! I'll let them sit a while longer. If not I reckon I've got some work to do...

Thanks for everyone's input so far...and concern!:)

Because honestly...because my tanks are this big am I taking so much gas you are shorted and that's why you are so against my diving 130's? I mean you no quarrel, but why are you so against me diving 130's?

To put this in perspective I just sold a set of 95s to my dive instructor. He's selling his 104s because they are just too much air as he's gotten his air consumption to a sip.

FYI....
The dives he will be using these tanks for are 290 ft + cave dives.

Again - your 130s for intro to tech are overkill. Looks like the shop has 130s in the shop and was looking to sell them to someone excited about diving.

To put this in perspective I just sold a set of 95s to my dive instructor. He's selling his 104s because they are just too much air as he's gotten his air consumption to a sip.

FYI....
The dives he will be using these tanks for are 290 ft + cave dives.

Again - your 130s for intro to tech are overkill. Looks like the shop has 130s in the shop and was looking to sell them to someone excited about diving.

Again - I know they are overkill. I planned them to be overkill. How Much overkill I do not know yet. Your instructor got his air consumption to a sip...I stated far above that I breath horrible when I'm doing new things. I know I'm a hog, but I am getting much much better. But I'm not there yet...hence the overkill.

Will they get sold in the future? Who knows...I'm not there yet. But when I get there I'll have plenty of gas!

I guess they do it all wrong down here in Florida.
Around here most divers dive the tanks that trim out best.
Then if one needs more gas, they just pump in what they need.(cave-fills)
It is quite possible to get the same amount of gas in a pair of 85's or 90's
if you need it for a given dive. You should really get what works best for you,
and trims out best for you for every dive and not worry so much about how big ones bottles are. If that works out to be a pair of 130's or even 149's then so be it.
"Hint" Most divers are in something between 85's and 120's.

I guess they do it all wrong down here in Florida.
Around here most divers dive the tanks that trim out best.
Then if one needs more gas, they just pump in what they need.(cave-fills)
It is quite possible to get the same amount of gas in a pair of 85's or 90's
if you need it for a given dive. You should really get what works best for you,
and trims out best for you for every dive and not worry so much about how big ones bottles are. If that works out to be a pair of 130's or even 149's then so be it.
"Hint" Most divers are in something between 85's and 120's.

I had failed to bring up the point of trim before, but you are absolutly correct and trim did have a big part to play in my tank selection. For me, 120's feel too long on my short torso. I seem to do better with the squatter 8" tanks. All guesswork with these doubles though...but it was a consideration!

Thank you for an informative, and helpful post!

Back
Top Bottom