Empty Tanks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The date of manufacture is stamped in the neck of the tank.

Ok...you have a point. And I knew that! :lotsalove:

So the sticker that the tank comes with with the date hole punched in it is like a backup...It's redundant. I must have bought a DIR tank...:rofl3:

ANYHOW. So nobody thinks the tanks, having been sealed up and esentially dry since assembly and sitting for a month, should have any issues with them physically?

I would not be worried about it because the cylinders were at the shop you bought them from and they know their history. I have put together cylinders in the same manner as describe at the house and have had to weight a few weeks before getting some gas in them. No big deal. It is no longer a problem as I have a whip and can trans fill.

The qual hydro does include a visual inspection so technically if a cylinder is hydro'd, then has a valve put on it, and filled with a little gas then the hydro date is the visual date. The problem is that this is rarely done as most hydro facilities do not fill cylinders. The scuba industry standard is that anytime a cylinder comes in that is empty it should be visually inspected.

Maybe things have changed, but I seemed to recall you never used to need VIP stickers on tanks within 1 year of new manufacture or hydro.

A factory VIP usaully arrives on something other than a pressurized cylinder so it's of dubious value.

You need those stickers, within a year or not. The shop in question may remember you and not be bothered by the lack of stickers, but other shops, boats, etc., will need to see stickers.

Sounds like you can just get them put on next time you're in, though, so I doubt there will be an issue. It's a reasonable situation, and it sounds like a reasonable shop, so there aren't likely to be issues.

You don't. if your idea of fun is having to argue with the dive shopjust about every time you try to get your tank filled.

Logically you shouldn't, but most dive shops think you should, and since there are no "official" rules concerning the matter, they usually win. It falls under Paradox 2.

Maybe things have changed, but I seemed to recall you never used to need VIP stickers on tanks within 1 year of new manufacture or hydro.

I suppose the next logical question that no one has brought up:

What does someone with <50 dives (according to your profile) need with double 130s?

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need ...
Rolling Stones

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom