Empty Tanks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose the next logical question that no one has brought up:

What does someone with <50 dives (according to your profile) need with double 130s?

I'm taking an intro tech class.

Also, I'd like to be prepared and familliar with all of my gear when it comes time to take more extensive tech classes and further my dive skills and knowledge.

Anything else?

I'm taking an intro tech class.

Also, I'd like to be prepared and familliar with all of my gear when it comes time to take more extensive tech classes and further my dive skills and knowledge.

Anything else?

Good answer. I'm putting together my first set of modern doubles this summer, to get up to speed for some tech classes.

Unless you are going to do caves or extremely deep wrecks, you may find 130's are overkill.

Good Luck.

Well, I have no desire for caves...but really deep wrecks I hope are in my future.

My thoughts were that with 130's I would have plenty of back gas to handle what I term "anxiety breathing" that I get when I do things for the first time. After I get settled into the new experiences and my breathing slows back down I'll be able to determine a doubles setup for the type of dives I would be on. So far, 130's will be more than enough to handle anything I want to dive...with the exception of beach dives!

130s are way, way, way overkill, especially for someone with <50 dives and what you currently want to do.

Go out a get experience and go have fun. Forget doubles for now -- don't get sucked into "Too far, too fast".

The cute girl at the LDS I was at pulled off the VIP stickers herself so she could align the nitrox decals just right.

So in actuality she is cute AND not completely clueless!
umm then why does she want those huge nitrox stickers?

I must have bought a DIR tank
refer to above:D

Actually with you being in Tee-ha-cheepie, what dive shop do you use? I know there is a LDS here, and a Sports Chalet off the 14, but Im at a loss to other shops.

130s are way, way, way overkill, especially for someone with <50 dives and what you currently want to do.

Go out a get experience and go have fun. Forget doubles for now -- don't get sucked into "Too far, too fast".

Im in the class. Will have plenty gas. Will dive wreck type dives using those tanks and such when the opportunity arises.

In the mean time I'm diving recreationally as much as possible. What's wrong with being prepared? Nothing that I can see. Granted I dont go out of my comfort zone.

Actually with you being in Tee-ha-cheepie, what dive shop do you use? I know there is a LDS here, and a Sports Chalet off the 14, but Im at a loss to other shops.

There are a couple shops in Bakersfield as well as a Sports Chalet. I don't go to them unless I have to. I normally go down to Aloha Dive in Woodland Hills because it's near my folks house. Me being so far from the sea, whenever I go on a dive excursion it starts and stops with a night at my folks place. They are opening a new huge shop in Simi Valley I hear though...and that will be even more convenient to me!

Im in the class. Will have plenty gas. Will dive wreck type dives using those tanks and such when the opportunity arises.

In the mean time I'm diving recreationally as much as possible. What's wrong with being prepared? Nothing that I can see. Granted I dont go out of my comfort zone.
The problem is that you are using huge tanks that are WAY overkill for the dives you're going to do. And honestly do you think you're going to be doing serious wreck penetrations any time soon?

According to your profile (I'll take you at your word that it is correct) you have <50 dives. IMHO someone with <50 dives has no business doing wreck penetrations. At this point you're still just getting comfortable in the water.

You'll remember this a few hundred dives down the road when you realize how little you really knew at 50 dives vs. how much you thought you knew. :wink: It's called "Super Diver Syndrome" and I certainly had it myself at one point.
Take my free advice for what it's worth. :coffee:

The problem is that you are using huge tanks that are WAY overkill for the dives you're going to do. And honestly do you think you're going to be doing serious wreck penetrations any time soon?

According to your profile (I'll take you at your word that it is correct) you have <50 dives. IMHO someone with <50 dives has no business doing wreck penetrations. At this point you're still just getting comfortable in the water.

You'll remember this a few hundred dives down the road when you realize how little you really knew at 50 dives vs. how much you thought you knew. :wink: It's called "Super Diver Syndrome" and I certainly had it myself at one point.
Take my free advice for what it's worth. :coffee:

Serious overkill...wreck penetrations...who cares really.

So what if it's overkill...I'll have extra gas. Doesnt change the fact that I plan my dives and plan gas usage and dive those plans. So I surface with a LOT extra? Point is I surface after a dive and feel comfortable in my gear. I have them already, so why not dive them when the chance arises?

I know without a shadow of a doubt that there is MUCH I do not know. MUCH I have yet to learn. A couple hundred dives down the road I'll on my 130's like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm. Be so comfortable that when it comes time for wreck penetrations my gear and I will be one.

Because honestly...because my tanks are this big am I taking so much gas you are shorted and that's why you are so against my diving 130's? I mean you no quarrel, but why are you so against me diving 130's?

Because honestly...because my tanks are this big am I taking so much gas you are shorted and that's why you are so against my diving 130's? I mean you no quarrel, but why are you so against me diving 130's?

Because honestly I will tell you this: you aren't ready for them yet. You are still just getting comfortable in the water with <50 dives.

Slow down, proceed with caution. You can do a zillion fun dives using your single 130s right now as it is, there's no need to double them up for a long, long time.

Serious overkill...wreck penetrations...who cares really.

So what if it's overkill...I'll have extra gas. Doesnt change the fact that I plan my dives and plan gas usage and dive those plans. So I surface with a LOT extra? Point is I surface after a dive and feel comfortable in my gear. I have them already, so why not dive them when the chance arises?

I know without a shadow of a doubt that there is MUCH I do not know. MUCH I have yet to learn. A couple hundred dives down the road I'll on my 130's like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm. Be so comfortable that when it comes time for wreck penetrations my gear and I will be one.

I think it's genuine concern. Have you worn the full 130s in the water yet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom