Emperor Echo damaged; guests and crew safe.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altaskier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From the Emperor page on Facebook (I was on the Echo in 2021):
emperor_echo.png

Well, I once heard from a dive guide that there are 170 liveaboards operating in the Red Sea. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that number, but there sure are lots and lots and lots of liveaboards here. So with that many boats, a "worldwide average" accident rate will lead to many more incidents.

Egypts less than stellar safety approach for the marine industry

And other industries too.

Glad to hear everyone is safe. It sounds like the boat is a goner, though. 😔
Emperor have a good reputation and are popular with UK divers.,.

Glad to hear everyone is safe. It sounds like the boat is a goner, though. 😔
Emperor have a good reputation and are popular with UK divers.,.
Nice how they just talk about the irreversible damage to the ship’s hull - no mention of the “irreversible damage” to the reef that the ship has likely caused…

We had a fantastic week on Echo in July on the Daedalus, Fury Shoal and Elphinstone route. I really feel for all involved.

We are big fans of Emperor, their older boats in particular are showing signs of age, but are well maintained. Where Emperor stands out from the crowd is the quality of their service and particularly the excellence of their guides. The food on the Echo trip in particular was outstanding. And looking at trip reports from other boats since then, it’s obvious that we were jaw dropping oh lucky with the big things on our trip.

It’s simply wrong to say that there are many many accidents on liveaboards in Egypt. There are 170 Safari boats in the water every week in Egypt plus hundreds and hundreds of day boats every day for diving and snorkelling. In life you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The people involved in these incidents were very very unlucky. How many car accidents happen every day ? And how much gun crime happens in America ?

I've only done day boats in Egypt, but it would be wise to have insurance when on a LOB as well as having important documents in a dry bag just in case of a situation like this.

Happily the passengers and crew are safe and well.

Back
Top Bottom