Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

interesting response...the folks on Little Cayman are encouraging us to come down tomorrow and ride out Sunday saying it will not be a big deal. IF the storm tracks as projected now, it will be tropical storm wind/rains...but what if it tracks a bit north? We would be looking at a Cat 3. Do people hunker down or fly out? I just spoke with cayman air, they are definately flying into GC tomorrow, may or may not be flying to LC sat morning , and probably will not be flying Sat. pm. hmm--

The track so far is far too similar to Ivan for my liking. People in Cayman are beginning to say that if Grenada gets hit, then we're in trouble. Still - let's hope the LCM people are right.

kathy miller:
interesting response...the folks on Little Cayman are encouraging us to come down tomorrow and ride out Sunday saying it will not be a big deal. IF the storm tracks as projected now, it will be tropical storm wind/rains...but what if it tracks a bit north? We would be looking at a Cat 3. Do people hunker down or fly out? I just spoke with cayman air, they are definately flying into GC tomorrow, may or may not be flying to LC sat morning , and probably will not be flying Sat. pm. hmm--
You can obtain info on the storm here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I included a map of the Caribbean as a few folks who travel the Carib don't actually know where their islands are; they just get on the plane and get off. You seem to know where the Caymans are, but just in case - click on the map I provided to see a larger view.

One of the problems I’ve had trying to out fly hurricanes is you say “Oh we can fly out tomorrow” but… All the Caribbean flights hop from island to island and even though your weather may be OK the flights may get grounded somewhere else.

I'm in a group going to Cozumel July 23, the Sat. after the storm passes. What is the island's recovery capability 5 days post a possible catagory 4 huricane. Yes, my local news in Florida just relayed it maybe up to a Cat 4 by Cozumel.

DocIndyDiver:
I'm in a group going to Cozumel July 23, the Sat. after the storm passes. What is the island's recovery capability 5 days post a possible catagory 4 huricane. Yes, my local news in Florida just relayed it maybe up to a Cat 4 by Cozumel.

Glad you asked, Doc... as I'm heading down there the same day. Looks like we will get to see first hand.

BurBunny:
Glad you asked, Doc... as I'm heading down there the same day. Looks like we will get to see first hand.

We're heading down the 23rd as well, and also wondering ......

:( I'm supposed to leave out on Saturday morning to go to the Riveria Maya. (July 16-23)

We have insurance, do you think we should cancel?

kathy miller:
I thought some more on this. The Caymans are currently under Hurricane Watch (see latest map below). Would I go alone? I hope not, but I am kinda' crazy. Would I take my family. NOT A CHANCE.

Am I overreacting here? Anyone disagree with me? I've talked to a lot of folks who have endured such storms, and I hope I never have to, much less walk into one intentionally.

Watcher:
:( I'm supposed to leave out on Saturday morning to go to the Riveria Maya. (July 16-23)

We have insurance, do you think we should cancel?
Man, I'd hate to, and I know you've been looking forward to this getaway, but - you'd be projected to incur a direct hit by a killer storm the next evening. Now, some people would call that living for excitement, but that's not the trip you planned, is it it?

I'd be on the phone to my airline investigating other possibilities and insurance company ensuring that they fully intend to pay.

Someone disagree with me here. Am I overreacting? I have never been thru a hurricane, but I find it surprising that these folks are even talking about flying into this storms path.

From what I can tell, the Fixed Base Operator at Grand Cayman is starting to hunker down for the storm, so that might dictate what the airlines can do. If you want the real skinny on what’s happening you can call the airport management directly at 345-949-7733 or the Texaco at the airport at 345-949-4328.

Back
Top Bottom