Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
I thought some more on this. The Caymans are currently under Hurricane Watch (see latest map below). Would I go alone? I hope not, but I am kinda' crazy. Would I take my family. NOT A CHANCE.

Am I overreacting here? Anyone disagree with me? I've talked to a lot of folks who have endured such storms, and I hope I never have to, much less walk into one intentionally.

Man, I'd hate to, and I know you've been looking forward to this getaway, but - you'd be projected to incur a direct hit by a killer storm the next evening. Now, some people would call that living for excitement, but that's not the trip you planned, is it it?

I'd be on the phone to my airline investigating other possibilities and insurance company ensuring that they fully intend to pay.

Someone disagree with me here. Am I overreacting? I have never been thru a hurricane, but I find it surprising that these folks are even talking about flying into this storms path.
Don, I agree with you. I lived through a not-so-major hurricane in south Louisiana quite a few years ago..I was in Houma, and even though we got no storm surge, there was flooding all over, and I mean DEEP flooding, electricity out, water out, phones out, etc. for several days. There is no way I would fly down there now. On an island especially - if you get down there, and realize it is worse than you thought, then you may be stuck there. No way would I risk it.......especially with family members. Insurance or not!
Kathy

divergalinla:
Don, I agree with you. I lived through a not-so-major hurricane in south Louisiana quite a few years ago..I was in Houma, and even though we got no storm surge, there was flooding all over, and I mean DEEP flooding, electricity out, water out, phones out, etc. for several days. There is no way I would fly down there now. On an island especially - if you get down there, and realize it is worse than you thought, then you may be stuck there. No way would I risk it.......especially with family members. Insurance or not!
Kathy
Thanks for your input here. Suggestions from me, who has lived at 3,000 feet or higher all my life, certainly don't carry as much as from you folks who have been thru these. Curious why the Florida experts weren't posting here...?

It looks like it's safe to fly to Jamaica and The Caymans, now - altho I do not know anything about damages there yet, or how much fun it would be to dive in those stirred up waters.

I got an email from my favorite Cozumel dive operator today, telling friends and customers about how they were hiding from Emily. It seems that the local phone company is taking down the satellite receivers to hide them from the storm, so Coz may be without phone and internet for several days.

There's a couple of threads in this forum from members who just escaped Ambergris Cay Belize and Cozumel. It sounds like getting out was pretty hairy, with not getting out being worse. :11:

And some members were thinking about flying to the path of this thing a few days ago. :cut: Except I understand - when you have saved and planned for a long time, it's difficult to give up. If Emily had come thru this same path two weeks later, I'm sure all of us on our Utila trip would be upset. I guess it could yet happen again with another storm, but of course - hoping not.

Right now, wishing the best for all those who live on or are visiting the Yucatan, Cozumel and other nearby islands.

DandyDon:
Thanks for your input here. Suggestions from me, who has lived at 3,000 feet or higher all my life, certainly don't carry as much as from you folks who have been thru these. Curious why the Florida experts weren't posting here...?

It's bad enough living in those conditions for a few days at home - I can't imagine being in a foreign land, stranded, with no way to get in touch with family and friends.

My prayers and those of the members of my church are also with those who have been hit by Emily, and those who are in it's path.

Delta extended the July 18 free rescheduling to allow me, originally on the 19th, to move my trip to Thursday, which is as late as I can go without cancelling altogether. They did this after I explained to them that Emily would be hitting Coz/Cancun much later than the rest of the caribbean, and to their credit, they bought it.

So, unless the damage is more severe than I anticipate (sure hope I don't have to eat those words) I'll be there on Thursday, either diving or helping clean up...

The latest (11:00PM Sun) advisory shows Emily weakening a bit; pressure is in category 3, but winds are into the category 4 region. From what I have read, Cozumel seems to be as ready as possible. It also appears that the eye will pass almost directly over Tulum. I wonder how many storms like this Tulum has weathered in the last 1200 years?

For those travelling immediately the all clear is given from the airlines, please spare a thought also for those who are living there and who will be your guides, maid, servers, drivers etc - just because the hurricane is gone, doesn't mean life is back on track. These things leave a tremendous amount of disruption - even if you don't get hit as hard as you think you will you then have to undo all the prep you put in.

So please be extra patient, realise that although things may look normal they are not and try to be as aware as possible that you are truly a Stranger in a Strange Land even more so than usual.

My best wishes to all those involved...from a Category 5 survivor :)

Very good advice, alcina. :thumb:

Dee:
Very good advice, alcina. :thumb:
Very good indeed...!! :wink:

I guess our friends there are talking it on the nose at this moment. My thoughts are with them of course, but thanks for reminding me that those who will be there to serve us next week are mostly those who didn't leave, didn't go to the shelters until the last minute, or stayed home - in their shacks.

I've been told I over tip in Cozumel and less developed sites. I think not.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to our friends who are being hit...stay safe and may your damage be minimal (if at all). I wish I could come down and help with cleanup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom