emergency O2 Kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely bring the first aid kit everytime I dive locally.

I agree, even though DAN may put together a nice kit, you can get it a lot cheaper on ebay. The lower pressure ratings of the tanks also mean they aren't held to the same hydro and vip standards as scuba tanks. I put mine together through ebay for less than $75. As far as filling it, check with your LDS. If they have nitrox, they have O2, and since you're getting it for diving emergencies, there shouldn't be a problem getting it filled there without a prescription.

Aviation grade would be safe to use in an O2 kit, because that's what it's intended to be used in. A lot of the O2 kits used in smaller planes are basically an aerial version of an emergency O2 kit. Lots of people use aviation grade oxygen for diving too; it's quite clean, and is very dry to prevent freezing at altitude.

I might take the class if I get around to it but I was trained in the military on BASIC procedures of O2 (not for diving accidents) and if someone really needs it or I need it I hope they wont complain. I get my fills thru my Grandmother :)

i am a little confused, Paul you said "demand valve", i picture that green, push button valve that we used to carry on the ambulance before we had vents. they put those in DAN O2 kits ?

firemedic296:
i am a little confused, Paul you said "demand valve", i picture that green, push button valve that we used to carry on the ambulance before we had vents. they put those in DAN O2 kits ?
DAN now offers two versions of a demand (inhalator) valve with their kits. See page 8 of this catalog.

The basic demand valve, for breathing patients acts similarly to a scuba regulator’s second stage. The other, called MTV (for Manually Triggered Ventilator) does the same, but also provides a button to give the rescuer an option to use the O2 gas pressure to expand a non-breathing patient’s lungs.

knotical:
DAN now offers two versions of a demand (inhalator) valve with their kits. See page 8 of this catalog.

The basic demand valve, for breathing patients acts similarly to a scuba regulator’s second stage. The other, called MTV (for Manually Triggered Ventilator) does the same, but also provides a button to give the rescuer an option to use the O2 gas pressure to expand a non-breathing patient’s lungs.

ok, its not like a O2 demand valve, demand like on old SCBA before positive presure

firemedic296:

As others have previously responded to about what DAN provides...a followup about the old demand valves that are still floating around for sale...you must make sure that they have been retrofited or that you can get a retrofit for them before using them....

They used to be 160 lpm max flow....they should be retrofited to limit flow to 40 lpm...this helps limit gastric distention

Paul in VT

joedelt:
i'm curious how many people carry O2. i've been talking to the wife and my mom about safety (my mom is clostrophobic (sp) and hates me diving).

i'm thkning about purchasing a small 02 kit to carry with me when diving....

thanks for the info

A buddy and I went in on a DAN kit. I always carry it on my boat and it's in the truck when diving from shore.

--Matt

I was wanting to add an O2 kit to my safety gear and was curious to know what would be a better set up for the money spent:
Spending the $600+ for a DAN kit with a Jumbo D bottle and MTV mask, OR
Buying a 100% O2 Deco bottle and O2 regulator.

I'm not trained on the MTV mask so the lung inflate feature could not be safely used by myself until after my Rescue/DAN O2 training (assuming that is even covered in that class).

I would like to have O2 as a just in case backup, but also want to get the most out of my money. BTW, I am not certified for Deco diving yet but it is a future goal, so the deco setup would have an added value in deco dives where another O2 source was available (i.e., my deco bottle not needed).

If neither set up is optimal, please suggest a third configuration (assume I will be using only new equipment, I don't really do ebay).

Thanks

Michael Freeman:
Spending the $600+ for a DAN kit with a Jumbo D bottle and MTV mask, OR
Buying a 100% O2 Deco bottle and O2 regulator.

I'm not trained on the MTV mask so the lung inflate feature could not be safely used by myself until after my Rescue/DAN O2 training (assuming that is even covered in that class).

i'm also looking for a O2 kit, and have taken basic first aid/cpr/and dan O2. i strongly advise against getting an Deco bottle and an O2 reg, because it wouldn't work for administering O2 to a victim. all the o2 masks that are covered in the Dan course, cover both the mouth and the nose.

As for the lung inflate thing, i know that that isnt part of the basic o2 course, it might be part of their advanced o2, but its not something you need to know for the basic o2 course.

hope this helps some

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom