Question Electricity question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi fellow divers. For our trip to Indonesia I’m asking if you know if most of the hotels in places like Singapore, Ambon, Manado, Sorong, and also the NAD resort in lembeh have 110 outlets?? Do I need adapters? Converters? By the way I have minimal knowledge about electricity etc and that’s maybe an understatement, so please dumb it down for me. LOL. ( we’re talking about using hairdryer, charging electric toothbrush, charging phones, charging dive computers, camera gear etc. ) Thanks for any info you have 😀.

I believe most phone chargers are able to work with both 110v and 240v without issue. And IIRC most $50 per night and above hotels I’ve lived in are equipped with a hair dryer in the room. You will need only the passive plug point adapters for the respective countries in Asia…

You will likely need adapters from the wall plugs to your devices; some of the connections may be different than your plugs will fit into.
You may need converters from 220v to 110v, but probably not. Most devices today will work from 100-240volts; look on the device, it will tell you. Your hairdryer probably not; it may however have a switch to go between 110 and 220v.
A good place to learn about this is Traveling Out of Country? Everything to Know About International Power Adapters

Most electronics will accept either 110 or 220 so all you will need is a "travel adapter" from Amazon. Look at the power brick or charger and the acceptable voltage in will be printed on it somewhere.

This probably is NOT true of your toothbrush or hairdryer. They make portable transformers, but they are heavy and not cheap. I suggest either using a manual toothbrush or a buzzy battery one for the trip. As for the hair dryer, most hotels have them available. But if you really want your own, you can buy one there or buy a dual voltage "travel" one and take it with you.

Singapore has "UK" style plugs, NAD in Lembeh has multisocket outputs that fit most plugs, along with some power extension strips in the rooms with either UK, US or European sockets.
All output 230V (220 to 240)

Most hotels and NAD Lembeh also have USB-A sockets for small digital devices.

Check your chargers to see if they will handle the voltage.

Look at the back of all you electric devices

If it says Input 110v - 220v (or 240v)

Then it'll work anywhere in the world

If it says input 110v, then you'll have to buy a (heavy) syrup 6 up transformer

Contact each of your hotels and ask them about their outlets. Leave your hair dryer at home...it's just extra weight in your luggage that could be used for scuba gear. Bring a battery powered toothbrush...also less weight than a full-size model you use at home.

If any of your devices will need a converter, maybe think twice about bringing that item. Converters are a PITA to travel with because they're bulky. Get some adapters to fit into the plugs at your destination. All the adapters are identified by letter of the alphabet for each country. Here's a list by countries and their adapters.

Contact each of your hotels and ask them about their outlets. Leave your hair dryer at home...it's just extra weight in your luggage that could be used for scuba gear. Bring a battery powered toothbrush...also less weight than a full-size model you use at home.

If any of your devices will need a converter, maybe think twice about bringing that item. Converters are a PITA to travel with because they're bulky. Get some adapters to fit into the plugs at your destination. All the adapters are identified by letter of the alphabet for each country. Here's a list by countries and their adapters.
Thank you !

Singapore has "UK" style plugs, NAD in Lembeh has multisocket outputs that fit most plugs, along with some power extension strips in the rooms with either UK, US or European sockets.
All output 230V (220 to 240)

Most hotels and NAD Lembeh also have USB-A sockets for small digital devices.

Check your chargers to see if they will handle the voltage.
Thx!!

Most electronics will accept either 110 or 220 so all you will need is a "travel adapter" from Amazon. Look at the power brick or charger and the acceptable voltage in will be printed on it somewhere.

This probably is NOT true of your toothbrush or hairdryer. They make portable transformers, but they are heavy and not cheap. I suggest either using a manual toothbrush or a buzzy battery one for the trip. As for the hair dryer, most hotels have them available. But if you really want your own, you can buy one there or buy a dual voltage "travel" one and take it with you.
Thx!

Back
Top Bottom