Trip Report North Sulawesi Trip Report Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Eight days after we arrived in Indonesia, we transferred to NAD at Lembeh (boat/van/boat).

Ramly, our guide for the past week, came over with us and our bags transferred to a small van for the two hour drive to Bitung, not to be confused with Bintang šŸŗ

However, the driver of the small van had some difficulties locating the drop off point at Bitung for the boat to NAD. I did recall it was at some wet market place when I went to Lembeh Resort seven years ago, and I was correct. However the confusion added another 30 minutes to the journey, but hey we were on holiday and there was no rush.

During the journey I realised Iā€™d left my glasses back in Bangka. Jen messaged Ramly and he arranged for them to be sent to Lembeh resort on the next boat. I basically only use them for driving and long distance seeing, but hadn't used them since we had arrived at Bangka and had left them on the bedside table.

Jen was keen to get back into the water asap after lunch, but I was still playing it cautious with my ear, and did a long house reef dive from the jetty. This was the only house reef dive from NAD that I did, and it doesnā€™t compare to any other house reef dives Iā€™ve done in N. Sulawesi or even the one round the corner at Lembeh Resort.

However they are sinking another one of their old dive boats, so perhaps that will improve the fauna there and add to some of the junk thatā€™s already off the jetty. My dive time for that dive was 113 minutes and went no deeper than 12m, plus my ears felt fine :)

NAD had basically just opened up and had two other divers Krug and Mary Ellen, a couple from the US, who had just arrived from a LOB and were being reunited with their luggage that didnā€™t make the transfer from their US flight to Singapore through to Manado!

Lunch with our new friends

full

This was a scenario that I had feared and my main reason why I stayed overnight in Singapore.

Although the next flight to Manado was two days later, they were now on a LOB and no way to get their dive gear etc., to them before the boat sailed. Therefore they had basically to buy some clothes and swim gear and rent all of their dive gear for their LOB. Fortunately their dive insurance should cover that, but I'd certainly feel more comfortable with my own regulators and wing etc.

As I mentioned, NAD had just opened up and some renovations going on on the lower level and we had accommodation in the upper level.

full

The NAD staff that we interacted with are excellent (Manager: Rustam, as well as Opit who took care of any issues, served the food along with Missy)

They had a three hour laundry service (I was running out of clean t-shirts), which was probably because of lack of anything else to do due to few guests. I asked for green tea as there was none, and the next day they not only had some next to the coffee machine but on the boat too, now that's service.

I was also looking for a SIM card for data, as their internet did not reach behind the dining area (not even to the bar). Rustam purchased two new cards but unfortunately I was unable to get them to work on either of my iPhones, which was odd. The local cards also have to be registered to an Indonesian citizen, which may have been part of the problem.

View from the dining area

full

Like Bangka, mosquitos were an issue here and the ones at Bangka are huge.

full

Fortunately @outofofficebrb carries a small machine that kills them and the staff at NAD always made sure there were sufficient coils burning under the tables etc., to deal with this problem.

Our dive guide was a good spotter, however, he tended not to be as communicative once he pointed to something underwater, and most of the time didnā€™t make a sign what he was pointing at and I had to frequently ask WTF am I looking at!

The guides at Murex carry erasable slates and are more communicative.

He also tended to dive deeper than planned resulting in going into deco on one dive, and while this is something I do back in home waters I carry a stage with 50%. I was not comfortable during that dive and mentioned it afterwards.

Sidemount NAD style

full

I was also having some issues with my manual focus ring slipping and twice removed it and used autofocus with mixed results. Many shots did not have the eye of the fish in focus or the rhinophores of the nudi in focus.

The most difficult fish to photograph, juvenile barramundi on the house reef.

Again wonderful visibility in the straits, but warmer than any of my previous visits. Generally it had been 26C and I had always wished to have brought a 5mm suit, which I now had with me the water temperature was 30C!

Anyone not believing in global warning take note!

Nembrotha cristata

During this part of the trip we had planned to do a ā€œBlack Water Diveā€ and I would personally do more in the future.

Basically a bunch of lights down are attached to a weighted line hanging from a buoy.

The lights attract critters and you photograph them.

Sounds easy

The advice I was given by our guide was to use autofocus with an aperture of f12, in the end I was using f8.

Some amazing stuff to be seen but the autofocus just wouldnā€™t lock on to them, especially the large transparent jelly things, but I did get a few keepers.

Dive profile of the Blackwater Dive.

full

The last dive that I did was a night dive and thatā€™s when my strobe problems started :mad:

When the camera rig was in the dunk tank tank the strobes were still on. When I switched one off the other one flashed! That had never happened before. More about that in part three.

This was a really incredible dive as every octopus appeared to be out having a party as well as several flambouyant cuttlefish.

Overall NAD are as good as Murex, but personally I preferred Murex. While the food was good at NAD, there wasnā€™t the same choice. Accommodation was better at Murex too, not that NAD was bad in any way though.

The boats are almost identical and the crews great at picking up the divers, very experienced at doing what they do and extremely helpful.

Then it was time to leave, which was a Monday possibly (I was getting really confused by now and in full holiday mode) we had a flight to catch on the Tuesday, me to Denpasar in Bali and Jen to Sorong for her Raja Ampat side of the trip.

This meant breaking down the camera gear and repacking it as well as drying off all the wet stuff.

On the Monday afternoon we had transport to the Novotel at Manado. Our respective flights were at 07:00 on Tuesday morning. This also gave us time to dry off anything that was still damp and repack at the hotel.

The new "highway" to Manado is also now complete and it only took an hour from Bitung to the Novotel near Manado airport.

More photos can be viewed here

Our dive guide was a good spotter, however, he tended not to be as communicative once he pointed to something underwater, and most of the time didnā€™t make a sign what he was pointing at and I had to frequently ask WTF am I looking at!

The guides at Murex carry erasable slates and are more communicative.

He also tended to dive deeper than planned resulting in going into deco on one dive, and while this is something I do back in home waters I carry a stage with 50%. I was not comfortable during that dive and mentioned it afterwards.

Sidemount NAD style

full

I was also having some issues with my manual focus ring slipping and twice removed it and used autofocus with mixed results. Many shots did not have the eye of the fish in focus or the rhinophores of the nudi in focus.

Again wonderful visibility in the straits, but warmer than any of my previous visits. Generally it had been 26C and I had always wished to have brought a 5mm suit, which I now had with me the water temperature was 30C!

Anyone not believing in global warning take note!

Nembrotha cristata

During this part of the trip we had planned to do a ā€œBlack Water Diveā€ and I would personally do more in the future.

Basically a bunch of lights down are attached to a weighted line hanging from a buoy.

The lights attract critters and you photograph them.

Sounds easy

The advice I was given by our guide was to use autofocus with an aperture of f12, in the end I was using f8.

Some amazing stuff to be seen but the autofocus just wouldnā€™t lock on to them, especially the large transparent jelly things, but I did get a few keepers.

Dive profile of the Blackwater Dive.

full

The last dive that I did was a night dive and thatā€™s when my strobe problems started :mad:

When the camera rig was in the dunk tank tank the strobes were still on. When I switched one off the other one flashed! That had never happened before. More about that in part three.

This was a really incredible dive as every octopus appeared to be out having a party as well as several flambouyant cuttlefish.

Overall NAD are as good as Murex, but personally I preferred Murex. While the food was good at NAD, there wasnā€™t the same choice. Accommodation was better at Murex too, not that NAD was bad in any way though.

The boats are almost identical and the crews great at picking up the divers, very experienced at doing what they do and extremely helpful.

Then it was time to leave, which was a Monday possibly (I was getting really confused by now and in full holiday mode) we had a flight to catch on the Tuesday, me to Denpasar in Bali and Jen to Sorong for her Raja Ampat side of the trip.

This meant breaking down the camera gear and repacking it as well as drying off all the wet stuff.

On the Monday afternoon we had transport to the Novotel at Manado. Our respective flights were at 07:00 on Tuesday morning. This also gave us time to dry off anything that was still damp and repack at the hotel.

The new "highway" to Manado is also now complete and it only took an hour from Bitung to the Novotel near Manado airport.
The water temperature usually goes down in July or even August.

The water temperature usually goes down in July or even August.
Thanks @Indah

I wrongly assumed that the water temperature was always around 26C in Lembeh Straits and hence brought my 5mm with me to deal with this as I was bloody cold in a 3mm plus I'm seven years older than I was when I last dived in Lembeh in July 2015.

1. Local coil is never effective so I always brought more than enough if I am going to unknown places with "rustic" accommodation.
2. "Black Water Dives" is relative new to me but is getting common.
5. 5mm is going to be my standard.

Remind me of the juvenile sweetlips, so funny.

In Lembeh now and the water temperature is still 28! I was expecting 25-26 based in my research but not complaining. With 85min dives Iā€™m definitely missing my 5mm even for 28 degrees. They said coldest is Aug. itā€™s also been raining a ton unlike what you would expect for July.

n Lembeh now and the water temperature is still 28! I was expecting 25-26 based in my research but not complaining. With 85min dives Iā€™m definitely missing my 5mm even for 28 degrees. They said coldest is Aug. itā€™s also been raining a ton unlike what you would expect for July.
In the past it has always rained in July when I've been there 2013-2015, and water temps 26C, which is the reason I brought my 5mm last May

In Lembeh now and the water temperature is still 28! I was expecting 25-26 based in my research but not complaining. With 85min dives Iā€™m definitely missing my 5mm even for 28 degrees. They said coldest is Aug. itā€™s also been raining a ton unlike what you would expect for July.
Hahaha...July just started..The final average of this month could still be very low. The very strong wind from the South seems to start today. This usually brings dry air all the way from Australia.
Indeed we do not really have a dry and wet season. And we had a few extremely wet August month during the last 22 years.

Iā€™m loving the diving here so far. Seems to have slightly more critters than Anilao, visibility is definitely much better, and most dives have zero current. 80-90min dives. Told my guide I want to see pygmys today and he knew exactly where to go and found a fan with 10(!) pygmys! If only the sun will stay outā€¦

Btw I was somewhat mentally prepared from your report, but I canā€™t believe I found a giant spider the size of my airpods case, a dead cockroach, and a 3cm slug in my bathroom all in 2 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom