Egyptair - Report on recent experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Citizen

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently travelled on Egyptair from London to Sharm. A potentially useful summary of my experiences..

1. Last year they allowed two checked bags - seems that has now changed and you can only take one (max of 20 kg; which is enough for some clothes and your fins...)

2. Until recently, the airline website still stated the allowance was two bags (got caught out by this at the airport and managed to argue for a free extra bag - they have since changed the website)

3. You can pay an extra GBP 45 to take an extra bag London - Sharm, it seems

4. Massive inconsistencies on the way back - first I was told my baggage was over and would need to pay LE 111 per kilo; then that it was ok. Then I was called back while they checked hand luggage weights. Then eventually told I needed to pay GBP 80 excess baggage (I was about 20 kilos over the allowance so this is low) This had to be in LE (cash, of course) Eventually they produced a credit card machine after much debate...

5. Airport security asked me for a bung to allow me to take a weight through in carry-on (no idea if he was trying it on or if these are genuinely not allowed)

6. I was carrying a piece of pottery back I had bought. When I got to Cairo I was told that I should have checked this in; and then had to go through more debates about where I had got this, why I was carrying it, the fact that it had been allowed this far, so why should it now be any different... etc (surely that's an airline, not a security decision anyhow..?) All this with (a different) security guy (seemingly) indicating he should also be paid off; though not quite as obviously as the first...

A very strange days travel all-in-all...!

Incidentally, the same airline once stranded me in Cairo (but that's an entirely different tale..)

Last edited:
1. Last year they allowed two checked bags - seems that has now changed and you can only take one (max of 20 kg; which is enough for some clothes and your fins...)
You must have very heavy fins.

I spent easter in Aqaba and could easily fit a full set of diving gear (Two masks + snorkel + huge freediving fins + regs + BCD + cannister light + backup light + 6.5mm semidry) and more than enough clothes for a week in a single 20kg bag + carry on.

I had three flights with Egyptair last year - no negative experiences.

Hey Louie

Glad you had a good experience! You must have some very light kit though..

Literally, of course, you can take more than a set of fins. I was just illustrating a point - 20 kg is not that much allowance. They have reduced the allowance to this recently.

I should say I was in Egypt for over a month so maybe had more than average with me (but that's not the point)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom